Florine in 1995
|Born||June 18, 1964|
|Residence||Moraga, California, U.S.|
|Occupation||Professional climbing and speaker|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Type of climber||Big wall, Speed climbing|
|Known for||Fastest ascent of The Nose of El Capitan|
Hans Florine (born June 18, 1964) is an American rock climber, who together with Alex Honnold previously held the speed record for climbing The Nose of Yosemite’s El Capitan in 2:23:46 (2 hours, 23 minutes and 46 seconds), on June 17, 2012. He has climbed The Nose more than 97 times, and El Capitan more than 150.
El Capitan is traditionally climbed in three to five days. The Nose route is 2,900 ft long (880 m) and features 31 pitches of strenuous, exposed climbing. This translates to a rate of roughly 6 minutes per pitch.
Florine is well regarded in the climbing community, and pioneered many of the methods currently used in speed climbing.
Florine started climbing as a teenager in 1983, and began competing in bouldering and speed competitions by 1987 at a time when competition climbing was not popular. He found that by speed climbing in competitions he was able to earn some money to fund his climbing, and by climbing quickly he could simply get more climbing in.
He broke The Nose speed record with Yuji Hirayama in 2002, with a time of 2:48:55. This was bested by German brothers Alexander Huber and Thomas Huber in 2007, however, Florine and Hirayama regained the record with a time of 2:43:33 just six months later. They improved again to set a time of 2:37:05 (2 hours, 37 minutes and 5 seconds), on October 12, 2008.
On July 30, 2005, Florine also completed a solo ascent of The Nose in just 11 hours and 41 minutes. Solo ascents are characterized by climbing by yourself while using a rope for protection, and require one person to do all the work.
- The Nose of El Capitan: Former speed record with Steve Schneider, 1990. Time: 8:06
- The Nose of El Capitan: Former speed record with Andres Puhvel, 1991. Time: 6:01
- The Nose of El Capitan: Former speed record with Peter Croft, 1992. Time: 4:22 
- The Nose of El Capitan: Former speed record with Jim Herson, 2001. Time: 3:57:27
- The Nose of El Capitan: Former speed record with Yuji Hirayama, 2002. Time: 2:48:55 
- The Nose of El Capitan: Former speed record with Yuji Hirayama, July 2, 2008. Time: 2:43:33 
- The Nose of El Capitan: Former speed record with Yuji Hirayama, October 12, 2008. Time: 2:37:05 
- The Nose of El Capitan: Former speed record with Alex Honnold, June 17, 2012. Time: 2:23:51
- Climb On! Skills for More Efficient Climbing (How To Climb Series), Hans Florine with Bill Wright, Falcon Guides, 2001
- Speed Climbing!, 2nd: How to Climb Faster and Better (How To Climb Series), Hans Florine with Bill Wright, Falcon Guides, 2004
- On the Nose: A Lifelong Obsession with Yosemite’s Most Iconic Climb, Hans Florine with Jayme Moye, Falcon Guides, 2016
- "USATODAY.com - Teen scales heights of rock climbing". www.usatoday.com. 2003-11-18. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Fimrite, Peter (2008-11-09). "50th anniversary of first ascent of El Capitan". sfgate.com. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "EXPN.com - Story". EXPN. expn.go.com. Archived from the original on 2008-04-28. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "PowerBar: Athletes". teamelite.powerbar.com. Archived from the original on 2009-04-14. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "Hans Florine's 2004 birthday challenge". www.birthdaychallenge.com. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "Honnold and Florine Break Nose Speed Record". alpinist.com. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Natalie Siddique (5 October 2014). "A Look at Speed Climbing: An Interview with Hans Florine". Moja Gear.
- "El Capitan - The Nose 5.13c or 5.9 C2 - Climbing Info - Yosemite Valley, California USA". www.supertopo.com. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Jayme Moye. "The World's Top Climbers on Why Hans Florine Is Still the Greatest". Men's Journal. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Hirayama and Florine set new Nose record". planetmountain.com. 2 October 2002.
- Helft, Miguel (2008-07-03). "Two Climbers Regain Record on Yosemite Peak - NYTimes.com". www.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "Hans Florine and Yuji Hirayama set new record on The Nose, El Capitan". www.planetmountain.com.
- "Hans Florine - Fastest Solo Ascent of El Capitan - Speed Climbing". www.spadout.com. Archived from the original on 2009-04-28. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Ula Chrobak (9 May 2018). "Hans Florine on His Terrifying El Cap Fall". Outside Online.
- "Notables and trivia about The Nose Route".
- Eileen Hansen (16 September 1996). "LETTING IT ALMOST ALL HANG OUT SPEED CLIMBER HANS FLORINE IS ADEPT AT SCALING PEAKS, AS HE'LL QUICKLY TELL YOU". Sports Illustrated.
- Mary Anne Potts. "Climbers Alex Honnold and Hans Florine Claim Speed Record on the Nose, El Cap – Interview". Beyond the Edge. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "New Nose Record – 2:23:51 (Florine and Honnold)". Mountain Project. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "CNNSI.com - SI Adventure - The El Capitan Climbing War - Wednesday July 31, 2002 11:18 AM". sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "Climb On! Skills for More Efficient Climbing (How To Climb Series)". Amazon.
- "Speed Climbing!, 2nd: How to Climb Faster and Better (How To Climb Series)". Amazon.