|Born||5 September 1940 (age 78)|
|Philosophy of Language, Semantics|
|Discourse Representation Theory|
Kamp received a Ph.D. in Philosophy from UCLA in 1968, and has taught at Cornell University, University of London, University of Texas, Austin, and University of Stuttgart. His dissertation, Tense Logic and the Theory of Linear Order (1968) was devoted to functional completeness in tense logic, the main result being that all temporal operators are definable in terms of "since" and "until" - provided that the underlying temporal structure is a continuous linear ordering. Kamp's 1971 paper on "now" (Theoria) was the first employment of double-indexing in model theoretic semantics. His doctoral committee included Richard Montague as chairman, Chen Chung Chang, Alonzo Church, David Kaplan, Yiannis N. Moschovakis, and Jordan Howard Sobel.
Kamp became a corresponding member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1997. He was awarded the Jean Nicod Prize in 1996 and was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences in 2015.
- Anaphora (linguistics)
- Donkey pronoun
- Donkey sentence
- Irene Heim
- Lambda calculus
- Montague grammar
- Quantification (linguistics)
- Two-dimensional semantics
- Maier, Emar; Beaver, David I.; Geurts, Bart (2007-05-22). "Discourse Representation Theory".
- "UT College of Liberal Arts: Faculty Profile Prof. Hans Kamp". liberalarts.utexas.edu. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- "Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans Kamp PhD | Institute for Natural Language Processing | University of Stuttgart". www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- Kamp, Johan Anthony Willem (1968). Tense logic and the theory of linear order. OCLC 26523229.
- "J.A.W. Kamp". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 31 January 2016. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "Archives - INSTITUT JEAN NICOD". www.institutnicod.org. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- "Johan Anthony Willem Kamp". American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- Kamp, Hans. 'A Theory of Truth and Semantic Representation'. In J. Groenendijk and others (eds.). Formal Methods in the Study of Language. Amsterdam: Mathematics Center, 1981.
- Kamp, Hans and Uwe Reyle. `From Discourse to Logic: Introduction to Modeltheoretic Semantics of Natural Language, Formal Logic and Discourse Representation Theory'. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994.
|This article on a Dutch linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|