Hans Kloss (artist)
Hans Kloss (12 July 1938 – 12 September 2018) was a German artist and graphic designer. He is best known for his large paintings combining medieval and modern styles.
Kloss was born in Ohlau, Silesia, on 12 July 1938. He trained as a ceramics painter, and studied at the Fachschule für Gestaltung in Schwäbisch Gmünd, a town in the eastern part of Baden-Württemberg, where he settled in 1953. In 1969 he moved to the neighboring town of Lorch, where he has resided since. 
Kloss' most famous work is his Staufer-Rundbild, a panoramic painting depicting in great detail the history of the House of Hohenstaufen, a powerful ruling house in the 12th and 13th centuries. Located in Lorch Monastery, his panorama is 30 m (98 ft) long and 4.5 m (15 ft) tall. He started the painting in 1997, and completed it in 2002, the 900th anniversary of the monastery. Starting in 2012, Kloss was working on a new 47 square meter Staufersaga-Panorama, which he completed in 2015. It can be seen in the new Panoramamuseum Schwäbisch Gmünd.
Der Geiger zu Gmünd (2006), inspired by a poem of the same name by Justinus Kerner
For his work, Kloss has received the Premio Internazionale Federichino of Iesi, Italy in 2004; the Staufermedaille of the state of Baden-Württemberg in 2005; and the Irenen-Preis of the Freundeskreis Königin Irene Maria von Byzanz e.V. of Göppingen in 2003.
Kloss was formerly married to Maria Kloss, a fellow painter. Kloss was a member of the Social Democratic Party, and was a member of Lorch's municipal council, starting in the late 1970s. He was part of the administration and finance committee. He left the council in 2009, saying he was disappointed about the lack of estimation of his work.
- "Hans Kloss: Lebenslauf von Hans Kloss" (in German). www.hans-kloss.de. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "Staufer-Rundbild" (in German). Lorch: Kloster Lorch. Archived from the original on 27 December 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Staufer-Rundbild" (in German). www.hans-kloss.de. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Zehn Jahre Stauferrundbild". Rems-Zeitung (in German). 2 May 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Mahan Copelof, Maureen (2012). Discovering Germany. ISBN 146915000X.
- "Hans Kloss begeistert den Böbinger Geschichts– und Heimatverein". Rems-Zeitung (in German). 28 September 2011.
- "Staufersaga-Panorama" (in German). www.hans-kloss.de. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Auszeichnung durch internationale Stauferstiftung" (in German). www.hans-kloss.de. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Hans Kloss erhält Irenenmedaille" (in German). www.hans-kloss.de. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Gemeinderäte" (in German). SPD-Ortsverein Lorch. Retrieved 12 July 2008.
- "Nach fast 30 Jahren gibt Hans Kloss aus Enttäuschung über mangelnde Wertschätzung sein Gemeinderatsmandat in Lorch zurück". Rems-Zeitung (in German). 27 October 2009. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Lange-Greve, Susanne (2011). Hans Kloss: Maler, Grafiker, Zeichner; alles unter einem Himmel. Unterm Stein: Sonderveröffentlichung. 1. Schwäbisch Gmünd: Der einhorn-Verlag. ISBN 9783936373615.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hans Kloss.|
- Official website (in German)