Hans Oeschger Medal
The Hans Oeschger Medal is an award bestowed by the European Geosciences Union (EGU) to recognise scientists who have made "outstanding achievements in ice research and/or short term climatic changes (past, present, future)." The award was established by the European Geophysical Society (EGS) in recognition of the scientific achievements of Professor Hans Oeschger. It was awarded by the EGS in 2002 and 2003, and subsequently by the EGU.
List of recipients
|Year||Name||Organisation / Institution||Awarded for|
|2014||Sherilyn C. Fritz||University of Nebraska-Lincoln||"Outstanding contribution in reconstructing and understanding past periods of drought in North America, past hydrological changes in tropical and mid-latitude regions from lake sediments, and for her thorough approach to deciphering natural climate impact from human-induced landscape changes."|
|2013||Miryam Bar-Matthews||Geological Survey of Israel||"Pioneering contribution and leadership in the field of terrestrial palaeoclimate change using high resolution cave speleothem records, and for her outstanding contribution to our understanding of the climatic and environmental context of human history and pre-history."|
|2012||Michael E. Mann||Pennsylvania State University||"Significant contributions to understanding decadal-centennial scale climate change over the last two millennia and for pioneering techniques to synthesize patterns and northern hemispheric time series of past climate using proxy data reconstructions."|
|2011||Robert Delmas||"Seminal contributions to ice core glaciochemistry and his pioneering research on reconstructing changes in the composition of the atmosphere."|
|2010||Françoise Gasse||CEREGE (Centre Européen de Recherche et d'Enseignement en Géosciences de l'Environnement)||"Contribution[s] to the reconstruction of climate variability during the Holocene from continental archives and to a better understanding of climate mechanisms involved during this period."|
|2009||Thomas Stocker||University of Bern||"Contributions to the understanding of the role of the oceans in past climate changes and for his involvement in ice core studies."|
|2008||Dominique Raynaud||Laboratoire de Glaciologie et Géophysique de l'Environnement (LGGE)||"Contribution to the reconstruction of past atmospheric composition over the last 800,000 years from Antarctic ice cores and to the understanding of the link between greenhouse gases and climate."|
|2007||Raymond S. Bradley||University of Massachusetts Amherst||"Contribution[s] to paleoclimate reconstruction from continental archives and for being instrumental in the multi-proxy approach leading to the quantification of climate change over the last millennium."|
|2006||Bernhard Stauffer||University of Bern||"Contributions to ice core research, in particular for methodological developments, greenhouse gas measurements and ice chemistry."|
|2005||Laurent Labeyrie||"Contribution[s] to quaternary palaeoclimatology based on isotopic measurements on deep-sea cores and for his key rôle in the International Marine Global Change Study (IMAGES)."|
|2004||John F. B. Mitchell||Met Office||"Pioneer research in using atmosphere-ocean general circulation models to understand natural and anthropogenic influences on climatic changes."|
|2003||Sigfus Johnsen||"For his outstanding contributions to ice core research through the modeling of water isotopes and their use for paleoclimate reconstruction."|
|2002||Philip D. Jones||Climatic Research Unit, UEA||"For his remarkable contribution and sustained effort in reconstructing the climate of the last 250 years at the global and regional scales."|
- "EGU - Awards & Medals - Hans Oeschger Medal". European Geosciences Union. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Sherilyn C. Fritz". Archived from the original on 11 June 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Miryam Bar-Matthews". Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Michael Mann". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Robert Delmas". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Françoise Gasse". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Thomas Stocker". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Dominique Raynaud". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Raymond S. Bradley". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Bernhard Stauffer". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – Laurent Labeyrie". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGU – Awards & Medals – Hans Oeschger Medal – John Mitchell". Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "EGS Awards – Hans Oeschger Medal 2003". Archived from the original on 27 April 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- "EGS Awards – Hans Oeschger Medal 2002". Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 26 October 2012.