Hans Sarpei at practice with Schalke 04 in 2011.
|Full name||Hans Adu Sarpei|
|Date of birth||28 June 1976|
|Place of birth||Tema, Ghana|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2001–2007||VfL Wolfsburg II||1||(0)|
|2008–2009||Bayer Leverkusen II||3||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 27 December 2011.
Sarpei was with VfL Wolfsburg for six seasons, where he extended his contract until 30 June 2007 in February 2004. He joined Wolfsburg in 2001 and made over 130 appearances for the Wolves. At the end of the 2006–07 Bundesliga season, then Wolfsburg manager Klaus Augenthaler decided not to renew Sarpei's contract.
On 18 May 2007, Sarpei moved to Bayer Leverkusen on a free transfer. After putting pen-to-paper on a two-year deal, Sarpei revealed to German sports paper kicker: "It's great news for me. I am full of joy about the move and I am looking forward to playing international football with Bayer next season".
Sarpei was a member of the Ghana national football team. As such, he participated at the 2006 World Cup and the 2010 FIFA World Cup. He also received call-ups for the 2006 African Cup of Nations and the 2010 African Cup of Nations squads.
Sarpei, who also has a German passport, moved to Germany from Ghana with his parents, when he was a child. His older brother, Edward, is a former Bundesliga player for Köln, currently playing for BP Worringen. Sarpei enjoys his large Facebook followership which recoined various Chuck Norris facts on him.
- Africa Cup of Nations Silver Medal: 2010
- Africa Cup of Nations Bronze Medal: 2008
- FIFA World Cup last 16: 2006
- FIFA World Cup quarter-final: 2010
- "Bayer holt Sarpei" (in German). www.kicker.de. 18 May 2007. Retrieved 18 May 2007.
- "Sarpei heads to Leverkusen". ghanaweb.com. 19 May 2007. Retrieved 19 May 2007.
- "Hans Sarpei: Meine Laufbahn". www.hanssarpei.de. 1 January 2005. Retrieved 1 January 2005.
- "Ghanaweb Profile – Edward Sarpei". ghanaweb.com. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Warum Hans Sarpei auf Facebook Kult ist ..." (in German). ZDF.de. Retrieved 10 March 2012.