Hans Westerhoff in 2014
Hans Victor Westerhoff
January 14, 1953
|Alma mater||University of Amsterdam (PhD)|
|Thesis||Mosaic non-equilibrium thermodynamics and (the control of) biological free-energy transduction (1983)|
|Academic advisors||Karel van Dam|
Hans Victor Westerhoff (born 14 January 1953 in Amsterdam) is a Dutch biologist and biochemist who is professor of synthetic systems biology at the University of Amsterdam and AstraZeneca professor of systems biology at the University of Manchester. Currently he is a Chair of AstraZeneca and a director of the Manchester Centre for Integrative Systems Biology.
Westerhoff was educated at the University of Amsterdam where he was awarded a PhD in 1983 for investigations of non-equilibrium thermodynamics and the control of biological thermodynamics supervised by Karel van Dam.
In March 1995 Westerhoff wrote about a discovery of magainin in the African clawed frog which helps it fight against bacterias which he discovered along with his colleagues. In December 1996 he and his group discovered a nitric-oxide reductase of Paracoccus denitrificans. In 2000 he and Martin Bier, along with Barbara Bakker discovered that yeast cells can oscillate and merge with others in some cases because they get energized from glycolysis. In 2013 he studied maps of human metabolism and came out with its biochemical map.
- Prof. dr. H.V. Westerhoff, 1953- at the University of Amsterdam Album Academicum website
- "Hans Westerhoff". Google Scholar. Archived from the original on December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- Academic Tree: Karel van Dam, Amsterdam
- "Prof. Dr. H.V. (Hans) Westerhoff". University of Amsterdam. Archived from the original on December 12, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "Professor Hans Westerhoff". University of Manchester. Archived from the original on December 15, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- Hans Westerhoff's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Westerhoff, H. V.; Zasloff, M.; Rosner, J. L.; Hendler, R. W.; Waal, A.; Gomes, A. V.; Jongsma, A. P. M.; Riethorst, A.; Juretic, D. (1995). "Functional Synergism of the Magainins PGLa and Magainin-2 in Escherichia coli, Tumor Cells and Liposomes" (PDF). European Journal of Biochemistry. 228 (2): 257–64. doi:10.1111/j.1432-1033.1995.0257n.x. PMID 7705337.
- Boer, A. P. N.; Oost, J.; Reijnders, W. N. M.; Westerhoff, H. V.; Stouthamer, A. H.; Spanning, R. J. M. (1996). "Mutational Analysis of the nor Gene Cluster which Encodes Nitric-Oxide Reductase from Paracoccus denitrificans". European Journal of Biochemistry. 242 (3): 592–600. doi:10.1111/j.1432-1033.1996.0592r.x. PMID 9022686.
- Bier, M; Bakker, B. M.; Westerhoff, H. V. (2000). "How yeast cells synchronize their glycolytic oscillations: A perturbation analytic treatment". Biophysical Journal. 78 (3): 1087–93. doi:10.1016/S0006-3495(00)76667-7. PMC 1300712. PMID 10692299.
- Herrgård, M. J.; Swainston, N.; Dobson, P.; Dunn, W. B.; Arga, K. Y. I.; Arvas, M.; Blüthgen, N.; Borger, S.; Costenoble, R.; Heinemann, M.; Hucka, M.; Le Novère, N.; Li, P.; Liebermeister, W.; Mo, M. L.; Oliveira, A. P.; Petranovic, D.; Pettifer, S.; Simeonidis, E.; Smallbone, K.; Spasić, I.; Weichart, D.; Brent, R.; Broomhead, D. S.; Westerhoff, H. V.; Kirdar, B. L.; Penttilä, M.; Klipp, E.; Palsson, B. Ø.; Sauer, U.; Oliver, S.G.; Mendes, P.; Nielsen, J.; Kell, D.B. (2008). "A consensus yeast metabolic network reconstruction obtained from a community approach to systems biology". Nature Biotechnology. 26 (10): 1155–1160. doi:10.1038/nbt1492. PMC 4018421. PMID 18846089.
- "Professor Westerhoff in study that maps human metabolism in health and disease". Amsterdam Institute of Molecules, Medicines and Systems. March 4, 2013. Archived from the original on October 6, 2014. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
|This article about a biologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|