8 October 1947
|Alma mater||Mithibai College|
Government Law College, Mumbai
|Occupation||Yoga Guru, Author, Researcher & Director of The Yoga Institute|
|Organization||The Yoga Institute|
|Television||Yoga for Better Living on DD National (1980)|
Yoga Sutra on Zee TV
|Title||President of The Yoga Institute|
|Family||Shri Yogendra (father-in-law)|
Dr. Hansa Yogendra (born 1947) is an Indian yoga guru, author and researcher and TV personality. She is director of The Yoga Institute in Mumbai, founded by her father-in-law Shri Yogendra. It is a government recognized non-profit organization and the oldest organized yoga center in the world, founded in 1918.
She was presenter of the television series Yoga for Better Living, aired on DD National in 1980s. She is the chair of the Yoga Certification Committee for Quality Council of India (QCI) and President of the International Board of Yoga. She is the Vice President of the Indian Yoga Association.
Born on 8 October 1947 to Jitendra Phulchand Patni and Tara Patni, in a Jain family, she completed her graduation in science from Mithibai College. Later, she completed her Yoga teacher training course at The Yoga Institute. She holds a degree in Law from the Government Law College, Mumbai. She received a PhD. from The Open International University for Complementary Medicines in February 2018.
In 1991, she and Jayadeva Yogendra advised the National Council of Educational Research and Training on a Yoga education syllabus for schools in India. She has conducted several seminars and lecture tours in India and in Canada, Pakistan, Europe, Hong Kong, Australia and USA.
Her book, Yoga For All (2018) was released by C. Vidyasagar Rao, the Governor of Maharashtra in January 2019. It took her 3 years to finish the book, based on a hundred years of research by The Yoga Institute.
- Yoga Daily Planner - Heart Care, (1990) ISBN 978-8185053318
- Yogic Life-Cure of Asthma and Bronchitis, (1992) ISBN 978-8185053325
- Pregnancy, Parenthood and Yoga, (1991) ISBN 978-8185053257
- Dincharya, (1997)
- Yoga for Back and Joint disorders, (1997) ISBN 978-8185053363
- Recipes For Happiness:Yogic lifestyle diet, (2002) ISBN 978-8185053561
- Recipes for Happiness, (2001) ISBN 978-81-85053-56-1
- Yogic Life-Control of Diabetes, (1992) ISBN 81-85053-33-2
- Yoga of Caring, (1997) ISBN 978-8185053370
- Thoughts on the Gita ISBN 9788185053493
- Marriage A Spiritual Journey, (2010) ISBN 978-81-85053-80-6
- Insights through Yoga, (2000) ISBN 978-8185053530
- Swadhaya Practical Tips—For self-development, (2007) ISBN 978-81-85053-78-3
- Yoga for the Police, (2011) ISBN 978-81-85053-82-0
- Yoga for the Police - Tanmanachya Swasthya Sathi, (2011) ISBN 978-81-85053-82-0
- Yoga of Caring, (2015) ISBN 978-93-84670-04-7
- Inspiration, (2003)
- Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, (2009) ISBN 978-81-85053-79-0
- How to Reverse Heart Disease the Yogic Way-Research, Facts and Program, (2004) ISBN 978-8185053660
- Values of Life, (2005) ISBN 978-81-85053-76-9
- Growing with Yoga, (2008) ISBN 978-8185053448
- Yoga for All: Discovering the True Essence of Yoga, (2018) ISBN 978-9353040857
Awards & distinctions
- 1994 Vocational Excellence Award by Rotary Club of Bombay
- Award for contribution to Women's Health from the Society for the Promotion of Area Resource Centres.
- 2011 Special Award by The International Association of Yoga Therapists for pioneering work in Yoga Therapy, Yoga education and research in 2011.
- Yoga Tapaswini title at Pune International Yoga Week
- Award of Excellence by Podar International School for her contribution to Yoga education.
- 2015 Special Award by Lions Clubs International
- 2015 Keynote speaker at International Conference on Yoga for Holistic Health at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi
- 2017 Rotary International Award for her contribution to spread the awareness of Yoga at Hotel Sahara Star, Mumbai
- 2018 Chief guest at Pune International Yoga Festival
- 2018 Vocational Excellence Award by Rotary Discon, Utsav
- 2018 PhD. from The Open International University for Complementary Medicines
- 2018 Divine Shakti Leadership Award at Parmarth Niketan, International Yoga Festival
- 2019 National Yoga Award 2019 from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Das Schweizer Buch: bibliographisches Bulletin der Schweizerischen Landesbibliothek, Bern (in German). Schweizerischer Buchhändler- und Verlegerverein, Indiana University. 2003. p. 329.
- Subba Rao (January 2018). The Call of Yoga : The Life And Mission of Dr. Jayadeva & Hansaji Yogendra. Zen Publications. ISBN 9789385902918.
- Anne Cushman; Jerry Jones (4 February 1999). From here to nirvana: the essential guide to the yogis and gurus, ashrams and temples of spiritual India. Rider (imprint). ISBN 9780712670616.
- P. Warden (1994). Parsiana, Volume 17. the University of Virginia. p. 34.
- India Today International, Volume 26. Living Media, the University of Michigan. 2001. p. 59.
- "Taarak Mehta fame Disha Vakani seeks the blessing of Smt. Hansaji, writes a moving post". The Times of India. 3 April 2018.
- Mishra, Debashree (3 July 2016). "Once Upon A Time: From 1918, this Yoga institute has been teaching generations, creating history". Indian Express.
- Guha, Kunal (7 January 2018). "Relative value: A century of wellness". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Composition of The Yoga Certification Committee of QCI" (PDF). Quality Council of India.
- "Dr. Hansaji Jayadeva Yogendra: On The Meaning of Life". Excellencereporter. 24 April 2018.
- Kumar, Ravindra (31 August 2019). "AYUSH, Yoga are two strong pillars of 'Fit India': PM Narendra Modi". DNA India.
- "Yogi of the Month" (PDF). Yoga Life International. Ujjain Yoga Life Society. 1 (2): 7. April 2015.
- "Centenary celebrations of city yoga institute witnesses celebrity footfall". The Times of India. 2 January 2019.
- Murdeshwar, Sachin (20 December 2018). "World's Oldest Organized Institute of Yoga to Mark 100th Year With Harmony Fest". APN News.
- Guha, Kunal (17 February 2018). "Prominent yoga guru passes away". Mumbai Mirror.
- Jhangiani, Diipti (22 November 2013). "Neighbourhood Haven The Yoga Institute". DNA India.
- Mark Singleton; Ellen Goldberg (2013). Gurus of Modern Yoga. Oxford University Press. p. 73. ISBN 9780199938728.