Hantam Local Municipality
Location in the Northern Cape
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Magdeline Dyers|
|• Total||36,128 km2 (13,949 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.60/km2 (1.5/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||4.4%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
|Tankwa Karoo National Park||366006||28||267.9|
The municipal council consists of nine members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Five councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in five wards, while the remaining four are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 no party obtained a majority on the council; the Democratic Alliance (DA) and the Congress of the People (COPE) formed a coalition to govern the municipality. The following table shows the results of the election.
|African National Congress||4,179||4,111||8,290||49.1||4||0||4|
|Congress of the People||747||722||1,469||8.7||0||1||1|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- South African Languages - Place names
- "Hantam Local Municipality". Census 2011.
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Hantam" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Hantam" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.