Hanumantal Bada Jain Mandir
Bada Mandir, Hanumantal Jabalpur
|Location||Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh|
|Part of a series on|
The temple appears like a fortress with numerous shikharas. Originally built in 1686 CE, it was renovated in the 19th century, the temple has 22 shrines (vedis), making it the largest independent Jain temple in India. The images range from Kalachuri period to modern times. The main room with glasswork was built in 1886 by Bholanath Singhai, who also helped initiate the first two Hitkarini Sabha schools. This room contains the only image of the Jain Goddess, Padmavati, that is still worshipped in central India. It is the main Jain temple in Jabalpur, the annual Jain procession on the birthday of Lord Mahavira starts from here and terminates at Bada Fuhara. Daily shastra-sabha and evening classes are held.
The temple houses several images from the Kalachuri period (10-12th century), including an ornately crafted image of Lord Adinath. It also has many Mughal period, Maratha period and British period images, along with those installed after India's Independence.
Bhattaraka Harichandrabhushan of Sonagiri, belonging to the Balatkara Gana division of Mula Sangha conducted pratishas in 1834, 1839, and 1840. Bhattaraka Charichandrabhushan conducted pratishthas in 1866, 1867 and 1889. The bhattarakas of Sonagiri also administerd the nearby Jain center of Panagar, where Narendrabhushan installed images in 1797, Surendrabhushana conduscted pratishtha in 1822, and Acharyabhushan in 1838.
Nearby Jain temples in the Jabalpur area
- Jain Mandir, Bada Fuhara (Payalwala)
- Jain Mandir, Lordganj
- Wright Town Boarding Jain mandir
- Madhiaji Jain Tirth (Pisanhari Ki Madiya)
- Bhedaghat Shantinath Dig. Jain mandir
- Panagar Jain Tirth
- Bilahri, katni
- Parasnath Jain mandir, Parar-bhata, (Pahadi) katni
There are about 50 Jain temples in Jabalpur.
- Bharat ke Digambar Jain Tirth, Volume 1, Balbhadra Jain, 1974
- Parwar Samaj Ka Itihas, Phulchandra Shastri, 1992, p. 391
- Singhai Nemichandra Jain, Digambar jain Parwar Samaj Jabalpur, Jaganmohanlal Shastri Sadhuvad Granth, p. 380-382
- श्रीजी की पालकी निहारने उमड़े जन, 23 April 2013,http://www.pradeshtoday.com/newsdetails.php?news=Shreeji-mass-sedan-behold-Umde&nid=57315
- Madhyapradeśa ke purātattva kā sandarbha-grantha: pūrva-Muslima kāla, R. K. Sharma Madhyapradeśa Hindī Grantha Akādamī, 1974, p.
- Khandharin Ka Vibhav, Muni Kantisagar, 1959, p. 168-170
- Vidyadhar Johrapurkar, Madhya Pradesh men jainacharyon ka Vihar, Kailashchandra Shastri Abhinadan Granth, 1980, p. 288-293