Life and work
Hany Armanious was born in Ismalia, Egypt and migrated to Australia with his family at the age of 6. He completed his schooling in Australia and holds a Bachelor of Arts (Visual Arts) degree from the City Art Institute, Sydney.
His work has been exhibited in the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis, Missouri; UCLA Hammer Museum, Los Angeles; Institute of Contemporary Art, Sydney; Monash University Museum of Art, Melbourne; Busan Biennale, Korea; Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney; Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, Melbourne; Govett-Brewster Art Gallery, New Plymouth, NZ; Artspace Sydney; Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney.
Armanious' work is included in the collections of Dakis Joannou Foundation, Athens; National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne; Monash University Gallery, Melbourne; Newcastle Regional Gallery; Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney; National Gallery of Australia, Canberra; Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane; Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney; Auckland Art Gallery, New Zealand; Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego; Ipswich Art Gallery, Queensland; the Chartwell Collection, New Zealand; as well as numerous private collections in Europe, USA and Australia.
- Armstrong, Fergus and Amanda Rowell. "Selflok", Hany Armanious, 21 August - 28 October 2001, UCLA Hammer Museum, 2001.
- Coates, Rebecca. "Hany Armanious", Uncanny Nature, Australia Centre of Contemporary Art, Melbourne, 2006.
- Desmond, Michael. “Hany Armanious”, Broadsheet, vol. 32, no. 3, September - November 2003: 35.
- Dougal Phillips, Review of `Adventures in Form and Space, Balnaves Foundation Sculpture Project 2006,' Art and Australia, Vol. 44, No. 2, Summer 2006, p. 280.
- Jasper, Adam. "Hany Armanious-Pragmatic metaphysics, painstaking copies and infinite pedestals." Frieze, Issue 114, April 2008: 154-155.
- Jasper, Adam. "Unreality Bites", Art World, Issue 8, April–May 2009: pp 74–80
- Jenks, Debra. "Muckrakers and Mudslingers on 27th St." Chelsea Now, 26 - 1 October 2007: 23.
- Leonard, Robert. "Catalogue of Errors." Morphic Resonance- Hany Armanious. City Gallery, Wellington and Institute of Modern Art, Brisbane, 2007: 20-30.
- Markou, Jason. "The Sorcerer's Crocs", Morphic Resonance- Hany Armanious. City Gallery, Wellington and Institute of Modern Art, Brisbane, 2007
- Markou, Jason. "Hany Armanious", Adventures With Form in Space, Balnaves Foundation Sculpture Project, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2006, p. 72-82
- Palmer, Daniel, `Looking Back: Retrospectives,' Frieze, Issue 104, December - January 2007, p. 132
- Smith, Roberta. "Hany Armanious", The New York Times, 23 November 2007: E40.