|Officer of Lü Bu|
In historical records
Hao Meng was from Henei Commandery (河內郡), which is in present-day Henan. One night in the sixth lunar month of 196, he rebelled against Lü Bu in Xiapi (下邳; present-day Pizhou, Xuzhou, Jiangsu), the capital of Lü Bu's domain, Xu Province, and led his men to attack Lü Bu's office. He was unable to break into the office. Lü Bu was not aware of the identities of the rebels, but he heard their voices and knew that they were from Henei. He was bare-bodied and his hair was dishevelled when the attack occurred. Lü Bu and his wife escaped from the office by climbing over the wall and then they fled to the camp of Gao Shun, one of Lü's subordinates. Lü Bu told Gao Shun about the "Henei accents" he heard, and Gao deduced that the rebel leader was Hao Meng. Gao Shun then led his troops to Lü Bu's office and drove the rebels away by firing arrows at them. Hao Meng and his men retreated back to their own camp.
Hao Meng's subordinate Cao Xing refused to betray Lü Bu, so he turned against his superior and fought with him. During the fight, Hao Meng injured Cao Xing with his spear, but Cao cut off one of his arms with his sword. By then, Gao Shun had shown up to attack Hao Meng's camp and he beheaded Hao. Lü Bu praised Cao Xing for remaining loyal to him and he put Cao in charge of Hao's men.
In Luo Guanzhong's historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms, when Lü Bu was besieged by Cao Cao's forces during the Battle of Xiapi, Hao Meng was sent to request reinforcements from Yuan Shu. He was captured by Zhang Fei in an ambush and was executed by Cao Cao.
- (建安元年六月夜半時，布將河內郝萌反，將兵入布所治下邳府，詣廳事閤外，同聲大呼攻閤，閤堅不得入。布不知反者為誰，直牽婦，科頭袒衣，相將從溷上排壁出，詣都督高順營，直排順門入。順問：「將軍有所隱不？」布言「河內兒聲」。順言「此郝萌也」。順即嚴兵入府，弓弩並射萌衆；萌衆亂走，天明還故營。) Yingxiong Ji annotation in Sanguozhi vol. 7.
- (萌將曹性反萌，與對戰，萌刺傷性，性斫萌一臂。順斫萌首，牀輿性，送詣布。布問性，言「萌受袁術謀，謀者悉誰？」性言「陳宮同謀。」時宮在坐上，靣赤，傍人悉覺之。布以宮大將，不問也。性言「萌常以此問，性言呂將軍大將有神，不可擊也，不意萌狂惑不止。」布謂性曰：「卿健兒也！」善養視之。創愈，使安撫萌故營，領其衆。) Yingxiong Ji annotation in Sanguozhi vol. 7.
- Sanguo Yanyi ch. 19.
- Chen Shou. Records of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguozhi).
- Luo Guanzhong. Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguo Yanyi).
- Pei Songzhi. Annotations to Records of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguozhi zhu).