Hap and Leonard
|Leonard Pine and Hap Collins|
Promotional poster for the TV Series adapted from the books
|First appearance||Savage Season|
|Created by||Joe R. Lansdale|
James Purefoy (Hap) |
Michael K. Williams (Leonard)
Hap and Leonard are two fictional amateur investigators and adventurers portrayed by American author Joe R. Lansdale. They are the main characters in a series of ten novels, three novellas, and three collections of stories and excerpts. They are two very different men and the best of friends, and now work together as private investigators for Hap's girlfriend Brett Sawyer. Together they always wind up in a lot of trouble with various criminal types in the fictional town of LaBorde, in East Texas and often find themselves attempting to solve various unpleasant and brutal crimes. Both men are well versed in the martial arts. The novels were adapted into a 2016–18 TV series, produced by SundanceTV.
Hap Collins is a white working class laborer who spent time in federal prison as a young man for refusing to be drafted into the military and serve in the Vietnam War. In his late forties, he is often haunted by the various unpleasant jobs he's held over the years such as working at an aluminum chair factory and working the East Texas rose fields. Hap tries his best to avoid violence and also tries his best to avoid the taking of another human life. Often lovesick, most of his relationships haven't worked out. He is currently with his on-again-off-again girlfriend Brett Sawyer. Some of his past has been taken from Mr. Lansdale's own past. The stories are told from Hap's narrative point of view. Not as quick to anger as Leonard, he often finds himself attempting to talk Leonard out of committing serious violence.
Leonard Pine is a gay, black Vietnam vet with serious anger issues. He was raised by his uncle who shunned him after learning he was gay. However, when his uncle passes away, he leaves his house and all his assets to Leonard. Leonard has zero tolerance for racist or anti-gay slurs. Although Hap dislikes guns, Leonard has no problem carrying or using them. Quick to anger, at times he cannot understand Hap's aversion to violence or killing if necessary, even when provoked. His relationships are also short and tempestuous. Leonard is the much more aggressive of the two and repeatedly burned down a local crack house that used to be his new next door neighbor. After living with Hap and Brett for a while, he recently moved into his own place. Much to Hap's dismay, Leonard has a habit of wearing ugly hats.
Film duo Nick Damici and Jim Mickle have developed a Hap and Leonard crime and suspense TV series for SundanceTV. On November 10, 2014, Sundance green-lit the series for six one-hour episodes, which filmed in 2015 and premiered on March 2, 2016.At the end of June SundanceTV renewed a second six episode season based on the second novel Mucho Mojo. On May 14, 2018, SundanceTV announced they had cancelled the series after three seasons.
List of works featuring Hap and Leonard
- Savage Season  (1990)
- Mucho Mojo  (1994)
- The Two-Bear Mambo  (1995)
- Bad Chili  (1997)
- Rumble Tumble  (1998)
- Veil's Visit: a Taste of Hap and Leonard (1999) (short stories and excerpts written with Andrew Vachss) 
- Captains Outrageous  (2001)
- Vanilla Ride  (2009)
- Devil Red  (2011)
- Hyenas: a Hap and Leonard Novella  (2011, novella)
- Dead Aim (novella) (2013)
- Honky Tonk Samurai (2016)
- Briar Patch Boogie (2016, novellette)
- Hap and Leonard (2016, short story collection)
- Hap and Leonard Ride Again (2016, short story collection)
- Coco Butternut: A Hap and Leonard Novella (2017, novella)
- Rusty Puppy (2017)
- Cold Cotton (2017, novella)
- Hoodoo Harry (2017, novella)
- Hap and Leonard: Blood and Lemonade (2017, Mosaic novel)
- Jackrabbit Smile (2018)
A series of graphic novels were announced, to be published in 2015, but the dates have been tentatively pushed up to 2017.Lansdale is also busy on other Hap and Leonard projects that will be announced at a later date.
- Savlov, Marc (1997-08-22). "Joe Lansdale". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- Smith, Kevin Burton (2017). "Hap Collins & Leonard Pine". www.thrillingdetective.com. Archived from the original on 2016-08-22. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- "Hap and Leonard series by Joe R. Lansdale". www.goodreads.com. 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-03-12. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- Gencarelli, Mike (2011-04-11). "Interview with Joe R. Lansdale". www.mediamikes.com. Archived from the original on 2016-04-22. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- Leonard, Joe R (Spring 2009). "Interview: Hap and Leonard by Joe R. Lansdale". Archived from the original on 2016-06-21.
- Shaw, Johnny. "The Descendants of Holmes and Watson: 11 Literary Partners-in-Crime". Huffington Post. Archived from the original on 2015-08-27. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Zakarin, Jordan (2014-03-04). "'Cold in July' Duo Nick Damici, Jim Mickle Developing Private Eye Series for Sundance Channel (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Archived from the original on 2016-12-31. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 10, 2014). "SundanceTV Expands Original Scripted Slate and Greenlights Drama 'Hap and Leonard'". Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- First Look: James Purefoy and Michael K. Williams. "First Look: Hap and Leonard". Yahoo.com. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- Landale, Joe R. "Renewal for season 2 on Sundance Channel". Deadline.com. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Black Girl, Nerds. ""Hap and Leonard" Cancelled Because We Can't Have Nice Things". blackgirlnerds.com. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- http://www.thediaryofabookworm.com/2011/03/savage-season-hap-and-leonard-novel-by.html Review retrieved 10/20/12
- http://www.armchairinterviews.com/reviews/mucho-mojo Review Retrieved 10/19/12
- http://trashotron.com/agony/reviews/lansdale-two_bear_mambo.htm Review Retrieved 10/20/12
- http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102132.Bad_Chili Review Retrieved 10/21/12
- http://www.vachss.com/media/righteous/excerpt_tumble.html Review Retrieved 10/20/12
- http://www.vachss.com/av_books/short_stories/veils_visit.html Review Retrieved 10/20/12
- http://www.mysteriousreviews.com/mystery-book-reviews/lansdale-captains-outrageous.html#.UIIsQ8XA-Vo Review Retrieved 10/21/12
- http://blogcritics.org/books/article/book-review-vanilla-ride-by-joe1/ Retrieved 10/20/12
- http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/devil-red-a-hap-leonard-novel Review Retrieved 10/21/12
- http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-59606-356-3 Review retrieved 10/21/12
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2013-08-22. Release announcement
- Lansdale, Joe R. "Honky Tonk Samurai Review". New York Times Book Review. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Rusty Puppy". Hachette Book Group. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Lansdale, Joe R. "Hoodoo Harry". Release Information. The Mysterious Bookshop. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "Hap and Leonard: Blood and Lemonade". Tachyon Publications. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Hellnotes Release Info. "Hap and Leonard Graphic Novels". Hellnotes. Retrieved 13 July 2015.