|• Total||1,868.27 km2 (721.34 sq mi)|
|• Land||922.76 km2 (356.28 sq mi)|
|• Water||945.51 km2 (365.06 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (March 31, 2015)|
|• Density||5.2/km2 (14/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
In 1967 the "City of Haparanda" was merged with the rural municipalities Karl Gustav and Nedertorneå. Since 1971 Haparanda, like all other municipalities of Sweden, is a municipality of unitary type. However, it prefers to use the title stad ("city") for the whole territory, including the non-urban parts.
Haparanda Municipality is located on the western side of where the Torne River discharges into the Bay of Bothnia. On the other side of the river lies the Finnish town Tornio (Swedish: Torneå). Haparanda and Tornio jointly call themselves "EuroCity".
Although Haparanda has a boat harbor, it is not accessible for larger vessels and is not, as often thought, the Baltic Sea's northernmost port, that honor most probably belonging to Töre further west on the Swedish coast.
The municipality includes the Haparanda archipelago, with 652 islands in the bay of Bothnia, part of the larger Norrbotten archipelago. The Haparanda Archipelago National Park lies within the Haparanda group of islands. It includes the larger islands of Sandskär and Seskar Furö, and some smaller islands and skerries. Some of the other islands in the Haparanda archipelago include Hanhinkari, Kataja, Seskarö, Skomakaren, Stora Hamnskär, Stora Hepokari and Torne-Furö.
The municipal seat in bold
Politics and government
Distribution of the 35 seats in the municipal council after the 2010 election:
Results of the Swedish general election, 2010 in Haparanda:
- Social Democratic Party 60.4%
- Moderate Party 17.2%
- Centre Party 7.3%
- Left Party 4.3%
- Sweden Democrats 3.8%
- Christian Democrats 2.6%
- Green Party 2.3%
- Liberal People's Party 1.5%
Twin towns — Sister cities
Haparanda Municipality has four sister cities:
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 mars 2015" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. May 11, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- "About the Bay of Bothnia". Bottenvikens skärgård. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Haparanda Skärgård National Park". Swedish Environmental Protection Agency. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "Öar i Haparanda skärgård". bottenviken.se. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- Statistics Sweden as of December 31, 2005
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Haparanda Municipality.|