Happy (The Rolling Stones song)
|Single by The Rolling Stones|
|from the album Exile on Main St.|
|B-side||"All Down the Line"|
|Studio||Villa Nellcôte, France|
|Label||Rolling Stones Records|
|The Rolling Stones singles chronology|
Japanese picture sleeve for "Happy"
"Happy" is the tenth track on the Rolling Stones' 1972 album Exile on Main St. and features Keith Richards on lead vocals. Released as the second single from the album in July 1972, "Happy" entered the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 69 on 15 July 1972 and reached No. 22 on 19 August 1972.
Credited to Jagger/Richards, "Happy" was written primarily by Keith Richards in summer 1971, at the villa Nellcôte in southern France, over the course of a single afternoon. According to Richards, "We did that in an afternoon, in only four hours, cut and done. At noon it had never existed. At four o'clock it was on tape." The basic tracks were recorded in the Nellcôte basement, using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio, with Richards on bass, guitar and vocals, producer Jimmy Miller on drums, and saxophonist Bobby Keys on maracas. Piano by Nicky Hopkins was added later, as were Jim Price's trumpet, Keys' saxophone, Mick Taylor's guitar and the final vocal tracks, including Mick Jagger's backing vocals.
Since 1972, Richards has often sung "Happy" in concert and it has become one of his signature tunes. Performances of the song through 1978 also featured Jagger's vocals during the chorus.
Concert renditions of the song appear on the albums Love You Live and Live Licks; the studio track has been released on the compilation albums Made in the Shade, Forty Licks and GRRR! The song also features on concert films and DVD box sets: Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones (1974), Stones at the Max (1992), Four Flicks (2004), The Biggest Bang (2007), Some Girls: Live in Texas '78 (2011), Sweet Summer Sun: Hyde Park Live (2013) and L.A. Forum - Live In 1975 (2014).
- Keith Richards – lead vocals, guitar, bass
- Mick Jagger – vocals
- Mick Taylor – slide guitar
- Jimmy Miller – drums
- Bobby Keys – saxophone, maracas
- Jim Price – trumpet, trombone
- Nicky Hopkins – electric piano
- Paul Buckmaster – strings
- Spirit on the album Spirit of '76.
- The Pointer Sisters on the album Priority
- Nils Lofgren on his 1977 album I Came to Dance.
- Southside Johnny on his album Into the Harbour.
- The Black Crowes live on tour in 2005.
- Elvis Costello live on tour in 2009/2010.
- Lucinda Williams live 2009 
- Elliott, Martin (2002). The Rolling Stones: Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002. Cherry Red Books. p. 189. ISBN 1-901447-04-9.
- Richards, Keith (2011). "Chapter 7". Life. Little, Brown and Company.
- Appleford, Steve (2000). The Rolling Stones: Rip This Joint: The Story Behind Every Song. Thunder's Mouth Press. p. 119. ISBN 1-56025-281-2.
- McPherson, Ian. "Track Talk: Happy". Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- Zentgraf, Nico. "The Complete Works of the Rolling Stones 1962-2008". Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- Official credits found in the booklet from the 2010 remaster of Exile on Main St.
- Black Crowes covering the Rolling Stones Happy, Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA, USA, 10.08.2005
- Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes "Happy" Woodinville, WA. 8/23/09
- Lucinda Williams Wedding encore Rolling Stones' "Happy" First Avenue 9-18-09