Happy Christmas (film)
|Directed by||Joe Swanberg|
|Produced by||Joe Swanberg|
Alicia Van Couvering
|Written by||Joe Swanberg|
|Music by||Dominic Lewis|
|Edited by||Joe Swanberg|
Lucky Coffee Productions
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Happy Christmas is a 2014 American comedy-drama film written, produced and directed by Joe Swanberg. It stars Swanberg, Anna Kendrick, Melanie Lynskey, Lena Dunham and Mark Webber. Like most of Swanberg's previous features, the film's dialogue was entirely improvised.
Irresponsible 20-something Jenny (Anna Kendrick) arrives in Chicago to live with her older brother Jeff (Joe Swanberg), a young filmmaker living a happy existence with his novelist wife Kelly (Melanie Lynskey) and their two-year-old son. Jenny's arrival shakes up their quiet domesticity as she and Jenny's friend from high school Carson (Lena Dunham) instigate an evolution in Kelly's life and career.
- Anna Kendrick as Jenny
- Melanie Lynskey as Kelly
- Joe Swanberg as Jeff
- Mark Webber as Kevin
- Lena Dunham as Carson
Magnolia Pictures and Paramount Pictures jointly acquired the international distribution rights prior to the film's premiere screening. The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2014. The film was released on video on demand on June 26, 2014, before being released in a limited release on July 25, 2014.
The film has been met with positive reviews. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 76% based on 78 reviews, with an average rating of 6.38/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "Intelligent, well-acted, and satisfyingly low-key, Happy Christmas marks another step in prolific filmmaker Joe Swanberg's creative evolution." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 70 out of 100, based on 28 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews."
- "Happy Christmas (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Joe Swanberg Talks HAPPY CHRISTMAS". Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Sundance: Paramount & Magnolia Team For 'Happy Christmas'". Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "Sundance: 'Happy Christmas' With Anna Kendrick, Lena Dunham Picked Up by Magnolia, Paramount". Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- "CLIP AND POSTER OF HAPPY CHRISTMAS STARRING ANNA KENDRICK". Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- "Pre-Sundance, Magnolia and Paramount Scoop Up Joe Swanberg's 'Happy Christmas'". Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Peter Debruge (2014-01-27). "'Happy Christmas' Review: Joe Swanberg's Son Upstages Anna Kendrick". Variety. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Shetty, Sharan (2014-05-20). "Happy Christmas Trailer: Anna Kendrick and Lena Dunham star in Joe Swanberg's latest mumblecore film (VIDEO)". Slate.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Happy Christmas (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "Happy Christmas Reviews". Metacritic. 2014-07-25. Retrieved 2014-07-30.