Happy Death Day 2U
|Happy Death Day 2U|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Christopher Landon|
|Produced by||Jason Blum|
|Written by||Christopher Landon|
by Scott Lobdell
|Music by||Bear McCreary|
|Edited by||Ben Baudhuin|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Box office||$3.7 million|
Happy Death Day 2U is a 2019 American sci-fi black-comedy slasher film written and directed by Christopher Landon. It stars Jessica Rothe, Israel Broussard, Phi Vu, Suraj Sharma, and Ruby Modine, and again follows Tree Gelbman (Rothe) finding herself reliving the same day repeatedly after being hunted and killed by a masked assailant, only now her friends are also targets. The film is a sequel to 2017's Happy Death Day, with Jason Blum again serving as a producer through his Blumhouse Productions company.
The film was released on February 13, 2019, by Universal Pictures. It received mixed reviews from critics, who praised Rothe's performance, as well as this film's shift to a more comedic tone, although some noted it as derivative of the first film.
After the events of the first film, Tree Gelbman unexpectedly re-enters the time loop and becomes determined to escape it after finding out Carter and her friends are now involved. When she discovers that Lori Spengler, the original killer, has been murdered, Tree must face the new killer in order to uncover their identity and break free of the time loop.
Back to the story of Tree and Carter, they are now having a normal and happy life together. However, they discover that their friend, Ryan Phan (Phi Vu), is now stuck in the same time loop like Tree before. The group eventually get involved into the incident. Sharma (Samar Suraj) and Dre (Sarah Yarkin) suggest that they should create a machine called “Sissy” (Sisyphus Quantum Cooling Reactor), hoping they could break the time loop.
- Jessica Rothe as Theresa "Tree" Gelbman
- Israel Broussard as Carter Davis
- Phi Vu as Ryan Phan
- Suraj Sharma as Samar Ghosh
- Sarah Yarkin as Dre Morgan
- Ruby Modine as Lori Spengler
- Rachel Matthews as Danielle Bouseman
- Steve Zissis as Dean Bronson
Director Christopher Landon has talked about the possibility of a sequel, focusing on why Tree went into a time loop. Jessica Rothe stated that while most horror sequels retread the original, Landon's pitch instead "elevates the movie from being a horror movie into a Back to the Future type of genre film where the sequel joins us right from where we left off, it explains a lot of things in the first one that didn't get explained, and it elevates everything."
On May 1, 2018, Blumhouse Productions announced that Landon would return to direct the film, with Rothe and Israel Broussard reprising their roles while Suraj Sharma and Sarah Yarkin joined the cast. The next day, it was announced that Ruby Modine would reprise her role.
In November 2018, Ben Baudhuin was confirmed to be the editor.
Happy Death Day 2U is scheduled to be released on February 13, 2019. It was originally scheduled to be released one day later, on Valentine's Day. However, the film was rescheduled after request from a relative of a victim of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, which happened exactly one year prior.
In the United States and Canada, Happy Death Day 2U was released alongside Isn't It Romantic, and is projected to gross $17–20 million from 3,000 theaters in its opening weekend. After not holding Tuesday night previews, the film made $992,000 on its first day and $2.7 million on Valentine's Day, for a two-day total of $3.7 million.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 66% based on 102 reviews, with an average rating of 5.9/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "A funnier follow-up with a sci-fi bent, Happy Death Day 2U isn't as fiendishly fresh as its predecessor, but fans of the original may still be sufficiently entertained." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 56 out of 100, based on 28 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Audiences polled by PostTrak gave the film an average 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Kimber Myers, writing for the Los Angeles Times, delivered a positive review, saying: "Happy Death Day 2U can't quite replicate the feelings of joy and discovery of the original, but Landon deserves credit for varying the tune, while still playing the hits that will please the fans of its predecessor." Meg Downey, critic for IGN, praised the film, grading it an 8.5/10, wrote: Happy Death Day 2U deserves a healthy amount of praise for pushing its pedal to the metal all the way through. The level of risk-taking is refreshing, even when it's not completely successful at every single turn."
Regarding the possibility of a third film, writer and director Christopher Landon has stated that he "definitely [has an idea for] the third movie in [his] head", while producing studio head Jason Blum has said that "[if] enough people see this movie, we're gonna make a third movie, we want to make a third movie".
- "Happy Death Day 2U (2019)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 15, 2019). "Alita: Battle Angel Gets The Most Love At Valentine's Day B.O. With $8.7M & 'A-' CinemaScore – Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Squires, John (May 1, 2018). "First 'Happy Death Day 2' Casting Announced; Jessica Rothe Returns as Tree!". Bloody Disgusting. Archived from the original on May 2, 2018. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- Eisenberg, Eric (February 12, 2019). "Happy Death Day 2U Reviews Are Up, Here's What Critics Are Saying". CinemaBlend. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Squires, John (May 1, 2018). "First 'Happy Death Day 2' Casting Announced; Jessica Rothe Returns as Tree!". Bloody Disgusting. Archived from the original on June 12, 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- Hemmert, Kylie (May 1, 2018). "Jessica Rothe and Israel Broussard Return for Happy Death Day 2". ComingSoon.net. Evolve Media, LLC. Archived from the original on June 28, 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 1, 2018). "'Happy Death Day 2': Jessica Rothe, Israel Broussard Return; Suraj Sharma & Sarah Yarkin Joining Blumhouse Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media, LLC. Archived from the original on July 11, 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- Baxter, Joseph (May 1, 2018). Happy Death Day 2 Reveals Cast and Production Date. Den of Geek. Archived from the original on June 29, 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (May 2, 2018). "Film News Roundup: Ruby Modine Returns for 'Happy Death Day 2' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Business Media, LLC. Archived from the original on June 12, 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- Rothe, Jessica [@jessica_rothe] (May 21, 2018). "Come be in HAPPY DEATH DAY 2 with me and the rest of the wonderful cast! Plus, we'll go on a ghost tour in New Orleans together!" (Tweet). Retrieved September 19, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Acuna, Kirsten (October 1, 2017). "'Happy Death Day' isn't out yet, but the director already has an idea for a sequel". Business Insider. Archived from the original on October 21, 2017. Retrieved October 22, 2017.
- Jessica Rothe on 'Forever My Girl' & a 'Back to the Future'-Esque 'Happy Death Day' Sequel Archived June 12, 2018, at the Wayback Machine, Collider
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 1, 2018). "'Happy Death Day 2': Jessica Rothe, Israel Broussard Return; Suraj Sharma & Sarah Yarkin Joining Blumhouse Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 2, 2018. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (May 2, 2018). "Film News Roundup: Ruby Modine Returns for 'Happy Death Day 2' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on May 6, 2018. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- Squires, John (March 15, 2018). "Looks Like That 'Happy Death Day' Sequel is Filming This Year!". Bloody Disgusting. Archived from the original on May 2, 2018. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- Murray, Rebecca (November 30, 2018). "'Happy Death Day 2U' Trailer and Poster: "Death Makes a Killer Comeback"". Showbizjunkies. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- Hipes, Patrick (September 25, 2018). "'Happy Death Day 2U': Universal Sets 2019 Sequel Release Date". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on September 26, 2018. Retrieved September 25, 2018.
- Swift, Tim (January 16, 2019). "Horror movie changes release date after complaint from Parkland parent". local10.com. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 12, 2019). "'Alita' & 'Happy Death Day 2U' In A Knife Fight At The Presidents Day Weekend B.O." Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Happy Death Day 2U (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "Happy Death Day 2U reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Myers, Kimber (February 12, 2019). "'Happy Death Day 2U" goes back to the future". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Downey, Meg (February 12, 2019). "Happy Death Day 2U review". Retrieved February 13, 2019.