Happy Hollow Park & Zoo
Happy Hollow Park & Zoo logo
The entrance to the zoo
|Location||1300 Senter Rd San Jose, California, 95112|
|Land area||16 acres (6.5 ha)|
|No. of animals||150|
|Memberships||AZA, IAAPA |
Happy Hollow Park & Zoo is a small 16-acre (6.5 ha) zoo and amusement park in San Jose, California, which originally opened in 1961. It was closed in 2008 for major renovations, and opened its gates again on March 20, 2010.
Happy Hollow Park & Zoo is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and a member of the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA).
Jaycees members Alden Campen and Ernie Renzel started planning the park in 1956. They bought the original 7.5 acres (3.0 ha) at the north end of today’s Kelley Park for $300,000 on the city’s behalf.
- Puppet theater
- Animal hospital with indoor and outdoor quarantine, surgery and radiology
- Education center built out of hay bales with year-round classes for ages 12-months to adult
- Rides and structures for toddlers and children featuring slides, swings, ropes and climbing areas
- Carousel and roller coaster
- Petting zoo with an animal barn
- "Parallel play area" for children: next to endangered lemurs
- Fossa exhibit (a member of the mongoose family, most famous for its role in the movie Madagascar)
There are over 140 animals in the zoo, including these species:
- Black-and-white ruffed lemur
- Ring-tailed lemur
- Capuchin monkey
- Squirrel monkey
- Red panda
- Red ruffed lemur
- "The New Happy Hollow Park & Zoo Project Fact Sheet" (PDF). hhpz.org. Happy Hollow Park & Zoo. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- "Currently Accredited Zoos and Aquariums". aza.org. AZA. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- "International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions". iaapa.org. International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- "History: The Early Years - 1950's". hhpz.org. Happy Hollow Park & Zoo. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Happy Hollow Park and Zoo.|