Happy Jacks Dam
|Happy Jacks Dam|
Location of the Happy Jacks Dam in
New South Wales
|Location||Snowy Mountains, New South Wales|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Gravity dam|
|Height||29 metres (95 ft)|
|Length||76 metres (249 ft)|
|Dam volume||8,950 cubic metres (316,000 cu ft)|
|Spillway capacity||1,827 cubic metres per second (64,500 cu ft/s)|
|Creates||Happy Jacks Pondage|
|Total capacity||271 megalitres (9.6×106 cu ft)|
|Surface area||5 hectares (12 acres)|
|Normal elevation||1,192 metres (3,911 ft)|
Happy Jacks Dam is a major ungated concrete gravity dam across the Tumut River in the Snowy Mountains region of New South Wales, Australia. The dam's main purpose is for the generation of hydro-power and is one of the sixteen major dams that comprise the Snowy Mountains Scheme, a vast hydroelectricity and irrigation complex constructed in south-east Australia between 1949 and 1974 and now run by Snowy Hydro.
Location and features
Completed in 1959, Happy Jacks Dam is a major dam, located within the Tumbarumba Shire. The dam was constructed by a consortia comprising Kaiser-Walsh-Perini-Raymond based on engineering plans developed by the United States Bureau of Reclamation under contract from the Snowy Mountains Hydroelectric Authority.
The dam wall comprising 8,950 cubic metres (316,000 cu ft) of concrete is 29 metres (95 ft) high and 76 metres (249 ft) long. At 100% capacity the dam wall holds back 271 megalitres (9.6×106 cu ft) of water. The surface area of Happy Jacks Pondage is 5 hectares (12 acres). The uncontrolled spillway is capable of discharging 1,827 cubic metres per second (64,500 cu ft/s).
- Kosciuszko National Park
- List of dams and reservoirs in New South Wales
- Snowy Hydro Limited
- Snowy Mountains Scheme
- Snowy Scheme Museum
- "Map of Happy Jacks River, NSW". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Map of Happy Jacks Pondage, NSW". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Register of Large Dams in Australia" (Excel (requires download)). Dams information. Australian National Committee on Large Dams. 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Dams". Snowy Mountains Scheme. Snowy Hydro. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Bevitt, R.; Erskine, W.; Gillespie, G.; Harriss, J.; Lake, P.; Miners, B.; Varley, I. (May 2009). "Expert panel environmental flow assessment of various rivers affected by the Snowy Mountains Scheme" (PDF). NSW Department of Water and Energy. ISBN 978-0-7347-5656-5.