|Harald Andrés Helfgott|
Lecturing at IPAM in May 2014
25 November 1977|
Brandeis University (BA)|
Princeton University (PhD)
Leverhulme Prize (2008)|
Whitehead Prize (2010)
Adams Prize (2011)
Humboldt Professorship (2015)
CNRS/Université de Paris VI/VII|
University of Göttingen
Harald Andrés Helfgott (born November 25, 1977) is a Peruvian mathematician born in Lima. His main areas of research are number theory and related topics. Helfgott is a researcher (Directeur de Recherche) at the CNRS at the Institut Mathématique de Jussieu, Paris. As of 2015 he is an Alexander von Humboldt Professor at the University of Göttingen.
Helfgott became active early on in the mathematical community in Lima, his home city. He graduated from Brandeis University in 1998 (BA, summa cum laude). He received his Ph.D. from Princeton University in 2003 under the direction of Henryk Iwaniec (and Peter Sarnak), with the thesis Root numbers and the parity problem.
In June 2010, Helfgott received the Whitehead Prize by the London Mathematical Society for his contributions to number theory, including work on Möbius sums in two variables, integral points on elliptic curves, and for his work on growth and expansion of multiplication of sets in SL2(Fp).
In 2014, he was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Seoul and in 2015 he won a Humboldt Professorship.
- Harald Helfgott. "Harald Andrés Helfgott – Vita" (PDF).
- Harald Helfgott at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Random Curves: Journeys of a Mathematician
- Erika Klarreich, Graph Isomorphism Vanquished — Again, Quanta Magazine, January 14, 2017 see here
- The Leverhulme Trust. "Philip Leverhulme Prizes 2008".[permanent dead link]
- Times Higher Education. "Grant winners".
- London Mathematical Society. "Prize Winners 2010".[permanent dead link]
- (reprinted from a University of Cambridge announcement). "Helfgott and Sanders Awarded Adams Prize" (PDF). Notices of the American Mathematical Society. AMS. 58 (7): 966.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-11-06. Retrieved 2014-10-26.