Haramaya University is a public research university in Haramaya, Oromia, Ethiopia. It is approximately 478 kilometres (297 mi) east of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Ministry of Education admits qualified students to Haramaya University based on their score on the Ethiopian Higher Education Entrance Examination (EHEEE).
The Alemaya College of Agriculture was established in 1953. In 1994 the Alemaya University of Agriculture was established by government proclamation (Council of Ministers 198/1994). On 23 May 2011, the Haramaya University was established.
Haramaya University offers 106 undergraduate programs, 104 graduate programs, and 14 PhD programs.
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Computing and Informatics
- College of Health and Medical Sciences
- College of Social Science and Humanities
- College of Law,College of Veterinary Medicine
- College of Natural and Computational Science
- Haramaya Institute of Technology
- College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
- School of Graduate Studies
- Continuing and Distance Education Directorate
The University is pioneer for Agricultural research in Ethiopia.
- Wagaw, Teshome (1990). The Development of Higher Education and Social Change, an Ethiopian Experience. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press.
- "Haramaya University Establishment" (PDF). Federal Negarit Gazeta. 23 May 2011.
- "Historical Background of the University". Haramaya University. Retrieved 7 October 2018.