View of the village from Harbottle Castle
|Population||256 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North East England|
Harbottle is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England about 10 miles (16 km) south-east of the Scottish border, in the southeastern part of the Cheviot Hills and inside Northumberland National Park. The village is the site of Harbottle Castle built by order of Henry II. Now in ruins, the castle was constructed by the Umfraville family to protect against invaders from Scotland.
Harbottle Castle is a ruinous medieval castle dated to the 12th century, situated at the west end of the village overlooking the River Coquet. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade I listed building.
The Drake Stone punctuates the hills surrounding Harbottle. The massive erratic sandstone boulder, believed in times past to be endowed with supernatural powers, was deposited by a glacier during the Ice Age. It has been compared to the Bowder Stone of Cumbria. Harbottle Lake is situated just behind the Drake Stone.
Harbottle has a single small public house: The Star Inn.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- Coulson, Charles (2004). Castles in Medieval Society: Fortresses in England, France, and Ireland in the Central Middle Ages. Oxford University Press. p. 150. ISBN 978-0-19-927363-8.
- "Harbottle". Northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "Harbottle Castle". Historic England. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- The Local Historian's Table Book: Of Remarkable Occurrences, Historical Facts, Traditions, Legendary and Descriptive Ballads, &c., &c., Connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland and Durham. M. A. Richardson. 1846. p. 141.
- Lewis, Samuel (1833). A Topographical Dictionary of England: With Historical and Statistical Descriptions. Lewis. p. 342.
- Hall, Gemma (17 April 2012). Slow Northumberland and Durham: Including Newcastle, Hadrian's Wall and the Coast. Bradt Travel Guides. p. 188. ISBN 978-1-84162-433-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harbottle.|