Transdev Sydney Ferries
|Founded||28 July 2012|
Transdev Sydney Ferries, formerly Harbour City Ferries, is a subsidiary of Transdev Australasia, and is the operator of ferry services in the Sydney Ferries network since July 2012. It currently operates the ferry network under a contract until June 2028. As part of the operation contract, Transdev Sydney Ferries leases both the Balmain Maintenance Facility and the fleet from the government agency Sydney Ferries.
In 2011, the NSW government decided to contract out ferry services to the private sector. Harbour City Ferries was formed as a 50/50 joint venture between Transfield Services (later Broadspectrum) and Veolia Transdev (later Transdev). In May 2012, Harbour City Ferries was announced as the successful tenderer to operate the services on a seven-year contract starting 28 July 2012.
In December 2016, Harbour City Ferries became fully owned by Transdev Australasia after Transdev bought out Broadspectrum's 50% shareholding. As of December 2016[update], Harbour City Ferries employs more than 650 people and its fleet consisted of 32 vessels. The government acquired six more ferries in 2017 that were added to the Harbour City Ferries fleet.
In July 2019, Harbour City Ferries commenced a new contract to operate the ferries until June 2028. To coincide with the contract, Harbour City Ferries was rebranded Transdev Sydney Ferries. Its website was updated prematurely in June 2019 to reflect the name change. Ten new River-class ferries are planned to be commissioned in late 2020.
First Fleet-class ferry, Scarborough
RiverCat class ferry, Nicole Livingstone
SuperCat class ferry, Saint Mary MacKillop
- Annual Report 30 June 2012 Sydney Ferries
- "Transfield JV wins Sydney Ferries contract". news.com.au. 3 May 2012.
- Harbour City Ferries Transport for NSW
- "Harbour City Ferries". Harbour City Ferries. 2013. Archived from the original on 9 April 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Private Operator to take control of ferry services Sydney Morning Herald 3 May 2012
- Steady as he goes: ferries sail into private hands Sydney Morning Herald 28 July 2012
- TRANSDEV AUSTRALASIA ACQUIRES 100% OF HARBOUR CITY FERRIES, Transdev Australasia, Published 8 December 2016, Retrieved 19 January 2018
- Sydney Ferries FleetArchived 2018-01-19 at the Wayback Machine Transport for NSW 18 December 2017
- More ferry services for Sydney after government awards $1.3b contract Sydney Morning Herald 27 February 2019
- "Transdev secures €815 million Sydney Ferries renewal contract until 2028". Transdev. 7 March 2019. Archived from the original on 29 March 2019. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "Home Page". Transdev Sydney Ferries. Archived from the original on 19 June 2019. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Anger as Syd ferries to be built overseas Canberra Times 23 October 2019