|Private Ownership, LLC|
|Predecessor||Hancock Venture Partners|
|Headquarters||One Financial Center
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|Products||Fund of funds, Secondaries, Equity co-investment, Mezzanine capital|
|Total assets||$42.4 billion|
Number of employees
HarbourVest Partners is a private equity fund of funds and one of the largest private equity investment managers globally. The firm invests in all types of private equity funds, including venture capital and leveraged buyout funds, and also directly in operating companies.
Founded in 1982 as Hancock Venture Partners, a subsidiary of John Hancock Insurance, HarbourVest is based in Boston, Massachusetts with offices in London and Hong Kong. HarbourVest has approximately 80 investment professionals globally and manages approximately $18 billion of investor commitments.
In 2001, HarbourVest Partners got inducted to the Private Equity Hall of Fame.
According to the companies SEC 13F-HR filing in August 2017, the companies investments included:
- Lending Club
- Acceleron Pharma
- Box Inc.
- Silver Spring Networks
- U.S Auto Parts Network
HarbourVest has completed a number of significant secondary market investments in private equity:
- 2008 - Macquarie Capital Alliance, in June 2008, announced a takeover offer from a consortium of private equity secondary firms including AlpInvest Partners, HarbourVest Partners, Pantheon Ventures, Partners Group, Paul Capital Partners, Portfolio Advisors and Procific (a subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority) in one of the first public to private transactions of a publicly traded private equity company completed by secondary market investors.
- 2007 - California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) agrees to the sale of $2.1 billion portfolio of legacy private equity funds at the end of 2007, after a process that had lasted more than a year. The buying group included Oak Hill Investment Management, Conversus Capital, Lexington Partners, HarbourVest, Coller Capital and Pantheon Ventures.
- 2006 - American Capital Strategies sells a $1 billion portfolio of investments to a consortium of secondary buyers including HarbourVest Partners, Lexington Partners and Partners Group
- 2003 - HarbourVest acquired a $1.3 billion of private equity fund interests in over 50 funds from UBS AG through a joint venture transaction 
- Fund of funds
- Private equity secondary market
- Equity co-investment
- Limited partner
- HarbourVest Global Private Equity
- "HarbourVest Partners inducted to PEA's Private Equity Hall of Fame". HarbourVest Partners. Archived from the original on 2012-04-26.
- "Macquarie Capital will spend $836m to go private". The Australian, June 17, 2008
- "Macquarie Capital soars on buyout plan Archived 2008-08-03 at the Wayback Machine.". The Sydney Morning Herald, June 16, 2008
- CalPERs private equity stakes under microscope. Reuters 'Dealzone' November 20, 2008.
- Craig, Catherine. Five buy record $3bn Calpers portfolio. Financial News, February 5, 2008.
- Tracy, Tennille. Calpers, and where private-equity funds go to die. Wall Street Journal's Deal Journal blog, November 5, 2007.
- "American Capital Raises $1 Billion Equity Fund; Expands Its Asset Management Business; Will Host 9 am Conference Call". American Capital Strategies. PR Newswire. 2006-10-04.
- American Capital raises $1bn fund Archived 2009-02-06 at the Wayback Machine.. (AltAssets)
- ACS spins off stakes into $1B fund (TheDeal.com)
- HarbourVest transactions
- HarbourVest Partners (Company website)
- HarbourVest fund raises $300M in IPO
- HarbourVest to raise $400 mln in Amsterdam IPO
- Buyout Fund-of-Funds Scales Back I.P.O.
- Euronext buy-out funds feel drain of liquidity
- HarbourVest closes eighth fund above target on $5.5bn
- HarbourVest to list new investment vehicle on Euronext Amsterdam
- HarbourVest raises $2bn for venture fund-of-funds
- HarbourVest completes major secondary funds transaction with UBS