Hard Habit to Break
|"Hard Habit to Break"|
|Single by Chicago|
|from the album Chicago 17|
|B-side||"Remember The Feeling"|
|Released||July 2, 1984|
|Label||Full Moon/Warner Bros.|
|Writer(s)||Steve Kipner, John Lewis Parker|
|Chicago singles chronology|
"Hard Habit to Break" is a song written by Steve Kipner and John Lewis Parker produced and arranged by David Foster and recorded by the group Chicago for their 1984 album Chicago 17, with Bill Champlin and Peter Cetera sharing lead vocals. Released as the second single from the album, it reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100. "Hard Habit to Break" also peaked at number three on the Adult Contemporary chart. Overseas it peaked at number eight on the UK Singles Chart. The record was nominated for the Grammy Award for Record of the Year and won the Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocal(s).
- Peter Cetera – lead and background vocals
- Bill Champlin – guitars, keyboards, lead and background vocals
- Robert Lamm – keyboards, lead and background vocals
- Lee Loughnane – trumpet
- James Pankow – trombone, horn arrangements
- Walter Parazaider – woodwinds
- Chris Pinnick – guitar
- Danny Seraphine – drums
- Michael Landau – guitar
- Paul Jackson, Jr. – guitar
- Paulinho da Costa – percussion
- David Foster – keyboards, synthesizer programming, additional arrangements
- John Van Tongeren – synthesizer programming
- Erich Bulling – synthesizer programming
- Marcus Ryle – synthesizer programming
- Gary Grant – trumpet
- Greg Adams – trumpet
- "Explore: Soft Rock | Top Songs | AllMusic". Web.archive.org. 2011-11-12. Archived from the original on November 12, 2011. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "Chicago charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 55.
- "Chicago 17 Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-08-15.