A hardcourt (or hard court) is a surface or floor on which a sport is played, most usually in reference to tennis courts. They are typically made of rigid materials such as asphalt or concrete, and covered with acrylic material to seal the surface and mark the playing lines, while providing some cushioning. Historically, hardwood surfaces were also in use in indoor settings, similar to an indoor basketball court, but these surfaces are rare now.
Tennis hard courts are made of synthetic/acrylic layers on top of a concrete or asphalt foundation and can vary in color. These courts tend to play medium-fast to fast because there is little energy absorption by the court, like in grass courts. The ball tends to bounce high and players are able to apply many types of spin during play. Flat balls are favored on hard courts because of the extremely quick play style. Speed of rebound after tennis balls bounce on hard courts is determined by how much sand is in the synthetic/acrylic layer placed on top of the asphalt foundation. More sand will result in a slower bounce due to more friction.
There are numerous hardcourt maintenance methods which are commonly used to keep these facilities in top condition. Some of these include brushing, pressure washing with a cleaning solution and applying chemical treatments to prevent the growth of moss and algae. Anti-slip paint is also applied to hardcourts to give better playing qualities which enhance player safety and performance.
Some prominent brands of hardcourt surfaces used at professional tournaments include:
- Rebound Ace
- SportMaster Sport Surfaces
- "Types of Tennis Courts". SportsByAPT. Advanced Polymer Technology. October 22, 2012. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "What type of tennis courts are there and how do they influence the tennis player's game?". ertheo.com. Ertheo. July 17, 2017. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- Newcomb, Tim (September 18, 2015). "WTA Finals in Singapore are played on unique wooden hard court surface". si.com. Sports Illustrated. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
Possible wood comeback?
- Murray, Judy. "Hard courts take centre stage at the Australian Open and the US Open". news.bbc.co.uk. BBC Sports. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "Different Types of Tennis Courts". CoachUp.com. CoachUp, Inc. August 1, 2016. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
about sand in court to slow it down
- Newcomb, Tim (August 21, 2015). "The science behind creating the U.S. Open courts and signature colors". si.com. Sports Illustrated. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- Reason, Leigh (April 30, 2005). "Comparison of Tennis Court Surfaces". LiveHealthy.chron.com. Hearst Newspapers, LLC. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
...Majors on Hardcourt...
- "Tennis Court Surface: Pros And Cons Of The Different Surfaces". OnlineTennisInstruction.com. "Florian Meier & Partner GbR". Retrieved March 2, 2018.
...In the United States Tennis is played primarily on hard courts....
- "Choosing a Tennis Surface". 10-s.com. 10-S Tennis Supply. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "Tennis Surface Options". DecoTurf.com. DecoTurf. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "GreenSet Tennis". greenset.net. GreenSet. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "Laykold Tennis Courts". Advanced Ploymer Technology. February 6, 2014. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "Plexipave and Plexicushion Tennis Court Surfaces". plexipace.com. Plexipave Tennis Surface Systems. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "SynPave". reboundace.com. ReboundAce Sports. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- Pearce, Linda (May 31, 2007). "Open drops Rebound Ace for new surface". TheAge.com.au. The Age Company, Ltd. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "SportMaster tennis court surfaces". sportmaster.net. SportMaster Sport Surfaces. April 30, 2005. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- DECONSTRUCTING THE HARD COURT; Head.com, Simon Cambers, August 29, 2017.
- Greatest Hard Court Players in the History of Tennis, JA Allen, August 10, 2012.
- Tennis: Hard courts are hardest on the body - Nadal; Reuters, Rory Carroll, September 4, 2017.
- Sliding On Tennis' Hard Courts Inspires Awe, Poses Risks; Inside Science, Chris Gorski, August 27, 2013.
- FedEx Performance Zone: 2017 Hard-Court Records; ATP World Tour, ATP Staff, August 23, 2017.
- Concrete Jungle: WTA Insider Hard Court Power Rankings; WTA Tennis, Courtney Nguyen, July 27, 2017.
|This article about sports equipment is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|