Hardee County, Florida
|Hardee County, Florida|
Hardee County Courthouse
Location in the U.S. state of Florida
Florida's location in the U.S.
|Founded||April 23, 1921|
|Named for||Cary A. Hardee|
|• Total||638 sq mi (1,652 km2)|
|• Land||638 sq mi (1,652 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (2 km2), 0.1%|
|• Density||43/sq mi (17/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Hardee County is a county located in the U.S. state of Florida. As of the 2010 census, the population was 27,731. Its county seat is Wauchula, Florida. Hardee County comprises the Wauchula, Fla. Micropolitan Statistical Area.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Politics
- 5 Libraries
- 6 Communities
- 7 Transportation
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
On August 13, 2004, Hurricane Charley went directly through Hardee County. Maximum sustained winds in downtown Wauchula were clocked at 149 mph (240 km/h) with higher gusts. Most buildings in the county sustained damage, and many were totally destroyed.
- Polk County, Florida - north
- Highlands County, Florida - east
- DeSoto County, Florida - south
- Manatee County, Florida - west
- Hillsborough County, Florida - northwest
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 26,938 people, 8,166 households, and 6,255 families residing in the county. The population density was 42 people per square mile (16/km²). There were 9,820 housing units at an average density of 15 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 70.66% White, 8.33% Black or African American, 0.68% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 17.99% from other races, and 1.97% from two or more races. 35.68% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
According to 2005 Census Estimates the county's population was 50.6% non-Hispanic white, 39.8% Latino, 9.0% African-American and 1.3% Native American. (source=http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12/12049.html)
In 2000 there were 8,166 households out of which 34.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.00% were married couples living together, 11.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.40% were non-families. 18.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.06 and the average family size was 3.40.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.60% under the age of 18, 11.00% from 18 to 24, 28.30% from 25 to 44, 19.20% from 45 to 64, and 13.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 119.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 123.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,183, and the median income for a family was $32,487. Males had a median income of $23,793 versus $18,823 for females. The per capita income for the county was $12,445. About 17.00% of families and 24.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.20% of those under age 18 and 16.10% of those age 65 or over.
- Avon Park
- Lake Placid
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hardee County, Florida.|
- Hardee County Board of County Commissioners official website
- Hardee County Supervisor of Elections
- Hardee County Property Appraiser
- Hardee County Sheriff's Office
- Hardee County Tax Collector
- Hardee County Public Schools
- Southwest Florida Water Management District
- Heartland Library Cooperative
- Hardee County Clerk of Courts (Official Site)
- Public Defender, 10th Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Hardee, Highlands, and Polk counties
- Office of the State Attorney, 10th Judicial Circuit of Florida
- Circuit and County Court for the 10th Judicial Circuit of Florida
Museum and Library Resources
- Heartland Library Cooperative. Hardee County is part of the Heartland Library Cooperative
- The Herald-Advocate, the local newspaper for Hardee County, Florida fully and openly available in the Florida Digital Newspaper Library
||Hillsborough County||Polk County|
|Manatee County||Highlands County|