Harding Charter Preparatory High School
|Harding Charter Preparatory High School|
|3333 North Shartel Avenue
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73118
|School district||Oklahoma City Public Schools|
|head principal||Mylo Miller|
Harding Junior High School
|Architect||Layton, Smith, & Forsyth|
|Architectural style||Collegiate Gothic|
|NRHP Reference #||02000172|
|Added to NRHP||March 13, 2002|
Harding Charter Preparatory High School is a public charter high school in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It was founded in 2003 and is part of the Oklahoma City Public Schools system, offering a free public college-preparatory education. The school's expectation is that after graduation every student will go to college or enlist in the military.
Harding is non-selective and does not have entry tests or interviews, but in March 2012 application numbers required a lottery to be instituted for the available places. The school reflects the diversity of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area; in 2013 people of color constituted 58% of enrollment, 48% were economically disadvantaged, and two thirds of its graduates were first-generation college students.
Harding has a rigorous academic curriculum based on Advanced Placement courses, foreign language, and the fine arts. The school also emphasizes community service, requiring service hours of parents as well as students.
HCP became a National Blue Ribbon School in 2013. In 2013 and 2016 the Washington Post ranked it as the most challenging high school in the state, and in 2014 US News & World Report ranked it as the best high school in the state. In 2016 the school received an A+ grade from the state Department of Education for the fourth consecutive year.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Miguel Rios (April 28, 2014). "Harding Charter Preparatory High School celebrates 10th anniversary". The Oklahoman.
- "Harding Charter Preparatory High School – Oklahoma City, OK". The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program. Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Parents / Prospective families: FAQ's". Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "America's Most Challenging High Schools: Oklahoma". The Washington Post. 2013. Retrieved November 19, 2016.; "America's Most Challenging High Schools: Oklahoma". The Washington Post. 2016. Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Keaton Fox (April 28, 2016). "Washington Post ranks Oklahoma's 'most challenging' high schools". KOKH-TV.
- "Best High Schools in Oklahoma". US News & World Report. 2014. Archived from the original on December 31, 2014.
- Tim Willert (October 31, 2016). "Improvement continues at OKC district charter school". The Oklahoman.
- Linda Lightner (November 17, 2015). "OKC's Harding Fine Arts Academy celebrating 10th anniversary". The Oklahoman.