|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Type||UP Government|
|Elevation||140.6 m (461.3 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Hardoi is located at  It has an average elevation of 134 metres (440 ft). Hardoi is located at 110 km from Lucknow (capital of Uttar Pradesh) and 394 from New Delhi (capital of India). The Ganges and several of its tributaries are crossing the south of Hardoi district. Its area is 5947 km2. The record height is 500 ft. In 1995, Hardoi district had 5 km2 of dense forest and 13 km2 of open forest. The length of this district from northwest to southeast is 125.529 km and width from east to west is 74.83 km. District Hardoi comprises five tehsils (Hardoi, Shahabad, Bilgram, Sandila, and Sawayajpur), 19 blocks, 191 Nyay Panchayat, 1101 Gram Sabha, and 1901 inhabited revenue villages..
It also has 7 Nagar Palika Parishads & 6 Nagar Panchayats . Geographical area is 5947 km2. As per census 2011 population of the district is 4091380, out of which Female are 1887116 & Male are 2204264.
As of 2011[update] India census, Hardoi city had a population of 197,029. Males constitute 52.59% of the population and females 47.41%. In 2011 Average literacy rate of Hardoi city was 81.67% higher than the national average of 74.9%: male literacy was 86.59%, and female literacy was 76.22%. In Hardoi, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Note :Famous 2012 Bollywood movie Ishaqzaade was shot in many locations of Hardoi district.
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
People believe that the name Hardoi comes from distorted version of its earlier name Haridrohi, which is a Hindi word that means "anti to the God". According to Hindu theology, in the past it was ruled by a king Hiranyakashipu, who didn’t have faith in God, but instead declared himself as God. He wanted the people to pray to him, but later his own son Prahlad rebelled. He tried to kill his own son by various means, but was unsuccessful. Later, to save Prahlad, God himself came in disguise, such that he was neither human nor animal, and killed Hiranyakashipu. According to some scholars, the term "Hardoi" originated from the term "Haridwaya" which means two gods. Since there were two gods, Vamana Bhagavan (in the regime of King Bali) and Narasimha Bhagavan (in the regime of King Hiranyakashipu) had been incarnated hence the place called Haridwaya and later called Hardoi.
According to general conventions hardoi district is related with "HIRNAKASHYAP" its present name hardoi is a distorted version of its earlier name "HARIDROHI ". In view of some people this district was colonized by Hardevbaksh and just because of this reason there is an old locality Hardevganj exists in the city. Mallawa, Bilgram, Pihani, Shahabad, Sandila & Ruiyaa are the places of historical significance. According to some historians Mallawa was colonized by Buddhists while some believed that Sayyed Salar Masood Gazi came here. Earlier this area Mallawa was district headquarter. The ancient name of Bilgram is "SRINAGAR" its present name Bilgram was given by some associates of .Mahmood Gajnavi.Pihani is derived by persian word Pinhani (place of shelter), it is believed that king of Moughal dynasty Humayun took shelter in the forest of Pihani when he was defeated by Shershah Suri. Pihani is also related with the minister Sadarejahan of Emperor Akbar. His tomb and paintings are still here.According to the view of some people, Sandila was colonized by Rishi Sandilya. Sandila is also famous for old buildings,mosque & barakhamba.
Hardoi is first mentioned during the Muslim rule. In 1028, Bawan was invaded by Ghazi Saiyyad Salar Masud. However, Muslims didn’t occupy the region until 1217. After long struggle Sayyad Shakir established first Muslim site at GOPAMAU. Many battles between the Mogul and Afghan empires took place in Hardoi region due to the location of the district. Humayun was defeated by Sher Shah Suri between the cities of Bilgram and Sandi, and he escaped by crossing the river Ganges with the help of a bhisti to whom he had made the king for one day after regaining the throne.
Later, in February 1856, Hardoi, as a part of Oudh, became part of the British territory after Lord Dalhousie's proclamation. The headquarters of the district were at first Mallawan, but then became Hardoi after the Sepoy Mutiny.
In 1901, the main activities were wood-carving industry, saltpetre works and grain trade. The district exports grain, sugar, hides, tobacco and saltpetre.
Agriculture is the main activity in the district and many people depend on it. Of the total area, 3980.45 km2 is devoted to agriculture. The main crops are paddy, sugarcane, wheat, vegetables, pulses and oilseeds. A small proportion of the total cultivated is used for horticulture: guava, mangoes, some herbs, etc. Irrigation is made possible by the presence of the Hardoi and Lucknow branches of the Sarda Canal.
- Mahrana Pratap Government Degree College, Hardoi www.mpgpgcollegehardoi.com
- Mahaveer Prasad Mayavati Mahavidyalya Daulatyarpur Madhoganj, Hardoi 9452696991,
- Arya Kanya Degree College, Hardoi
- Shri Janki Prasad Inter College Kachhauna, Dist. Hardoi,
- Cane Societies Nehru (P.G.)Degree College
- Dr. Harishankar Mishra Degree College & Law College
- G.F. College of Law
- Gulab Degree College
- Katiyari Degree College
- Maharana Pratap Government Post Graduate College
- Shri Baijnath Singh Degree College
- Subhash Chandra Bose p.g. College, Kahli Gausganj
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia degree college, Hardoi
- Maikulal degree college, Sanpkheda, Hardoi
- Manyawar Kanshiram Law College
- B N Degree College
- CANE Society Degree College
- Shri Veni Madhav Vidya Peeth Balika Inter college
Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya,Itara-Pihani,Hardoi
- Government Inter College Tandiyawan, Hardoi 241001
- P.B.R. Inter College,Gausganj Hardoi 241305
- Shri Guru Ram Rai Public School, Hardoi
- St. James Sr. Sec. School, Hardoi
- St. Xavier's Sr. Sec. School, Hardoi
- Sri Ram Swaroop Singh Vidyapeeth Intermediate College (U. P. Government Aided), Balehara Kamal Nagar, Near Raghaupur, Mallawan, Hardoi
- Smt. Shiv Devi Balika Vidyapeeth Intermediate College, Balehara Kamal Nagar, Near Raghaupur, Mallawan, Hardoi
- Sri Raghunandan Bal Vidyapeeth, Balehara Kamal Nagar, Near Raghaupur, Mallawan, Hardoi (Manager: Sh. Sahab Lal Yadav)
- B. N. Inter College, Bhagwant Nagar, Mallawan, Hardoi
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Hardoi
- N.P.Public Inter Colle Kyoti Khwajgipur Madhoganj, Hardoi
- S.D. Inter College, Hardoi
- Aadarsh Krishna Vidya Mandir Bhadaicha, Hardoi (founded by Pt. Yadunath Prasad Awasthi)
- Narayan Public H.S. School Jagdishpur, Hardoi (founded by Anil Verma)
- Lucknow public inter college, Madhoganj, Hardoi
- St. Krishna Senior Secondary School, Jagdishpur, Hardoi
- Junior High School, Fatehpur Gayand, Shahabad, Hardoi (Estd. in 1902)
List of Winning MP and Runner up from 1957 to till date from Hardoi Lok Sabha Constituency
- Year PC Name Category Winner Sex Party Votes *Runner Up Sex Party Votes
- 1951 Hardoi GEN *Bashir H Zaidi M INC 111883 *Shanta Devi M RRP 65907
- 1951 Hardoi GEN *Bulaqi Ram M INC 93426 *Ram Swarup M SCF 46144
- 1957 Hardoi (SC) *Chheda Lal M INC 235231 *Niranjan Singh M BJS 231763
- 1957 Hardoi (SC) *Sheodeen M BJS 191730 *Kindar Lal M INC 189232
- 1962 Hardoi (SC) *Kindar Lal M INC 71883 *Shiva Deen M JS 48573
- 1967 Hardoi (SC) *Kindar Lal M INC 81126 *Parmai Lal M BJS 63571
- 1971 Hardoi (SC) *Kindar Lal M INC 109700 *Parmai Lal M NCO 76676
- 1977 Hardoi (SC) *Parmai Lal M BLD 191873 *Kindar Lal M INC 77586
- 1980 Hardoi (SC) *Manni Lal M INC(I) 113802 *Kindar Lal M JNP(S) 60645
- 1984 Hardoi (SC) *Kindar Lal M INC 195088 *Parmai Lal M LKD 134685
- 1989 Hardoi (SC) *Parmai Lal M JD 199552 *Manni Lal M INC 175087
- 1991 Hardoi (SC) *Jai Prakash M BJP 133025 *Mitan M INC 94768
- 1996 Hardoi (SC) *Jaiprakash M BJP 142278 *Shyam Prakash M BSP 118960
- 1998 Hardoi (SC) *Usha Varma F SP 206634 *Jai Prakash M BJP 191208
- 1999 Hardoi (SC) *Jai Prakash M ABLTC 206256 *Usha Verma M SP 200852
- 2004 Hardoi (SC) *Usha Varma F SP 203445 *ShivPrasadVerm M BSP 164242
- 2009 Hardoi (SC) *Usha Verma F SP 294030 *Ram KumarKuril M BSP 201095
- 2014 Hardoi (SC) *Anshul Verma M BJP *Usha Verma F SP 201095
- "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc — Hardoi". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Ghazi Saiyyad Salar Masud
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hardoi.|