The community's history dates back to the early 1900s. At that time, the Missouri Texas Land and Irrigation Company owned approximately 60,000 acres (240 km2) of land, including the area that would later become Hargill. Two businessmen, William Apsey Harding and Samuel Lamar Gill, formed a partnership known as the Harding-Gill Company in 1916 for the purpose of developing the land. The name Hargill originated from the last names of the two men. In 1920, school was constructed in the community. A post office opened in 1924 and a railroad station was established in 1926. By 1930, Hargill had an estimated population of 400 with several stores and three churches. The number of residents grew to 450 by the late 1940s. Hargill's population declined to approximately 100 in the mid-1960s, but steadily grew during the remainder of the twentieth century. In 1990, the population exceeded 1,300 and remained at that level in 2000.
Government and infrastructure
Public education in the community of Hargill is provided by the Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District (ECISD). Zoned campuses include Hargill Elementary School (grades PK-5; located in Hargill), Brewster K-8 for middle school (6-8), and Edinburg North High School (9-12).
- Gloria E. Anzaldúa – Writer/Poet
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Hargill, Texas". The Handbook of Texas online. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- "About Us". Hargill Elementary School, Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Retrieved 2009-10-02.[dead link]
- "Post Office Location - HARGILL." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on May 9, 2010.
- Zip Code Lookup
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Hidalgo County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- Hargill CDP map. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2013-2014 Elementary School Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Boundaries approved on April 2, 2013. Maps/Elementary%20Schools/Hargill.pdf Detail of Hargill Elementary Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2015-2016 Middle School Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Boundaries approved on March 29, 2011. Detail of Brewster Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2015-2016 High Schools Approved Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Detail of Edinburg North Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.