November 25, 1950 |
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Harish Patel is a British film actor of Indian descent. Although mainly associated with the stage, he has appeared in films and on television. He began performing at the age of seven, when he played male and female parts in the Hindu epic Ramayana. He made his film debut in Mandi directed by Shyam Benegal in 1983.
From 1994 to 2008, Patel worked with the eminent Indian theatre director Satyadev Dubey. In 1995, he joined the Indian National Theatre and appeared in the play Neela Kamra. His repertoire has included classical and modern Indian plays as well as plays by Western writers, e.g., Pinter's The Caretaker, Sartre's No Exit, Camus' Cross Purpose, Ionesco's The Lesson, and Mrozek's Vatzlav. In the spring of 2007, Patel took the lead role of Eeshwar Dutt in Rafta, Rafta..., a comedy written by Ayub Khan-Din and directed by Nicholas Hytner at the National Theatre in London to critical acclaim and sellout audiences.
Patel also appeared in Mr Stink, Gangsta Granny, The Boy in the Dress and Billionaire Boy, the TV film adaptations of children's books by David Walliams. He plays shopkeeper Raj in all the films, although they are set in different places.
His acting career has taken him all over India, and he has performed in the UK and abroad, in the USA and Dubai among other countries.
Patel is a life member of the Cine & TV Artists Association of India.
- Billionaire Boy (2016)
- The Driver (2014)
- The Boy in the Dress (2014)
- Mapp and Lucia (2014)
- Gangsta Granny (2013)
- Mr Stink (2012)
- Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2010)
- Coronation Street (2009)
- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (2008)
- The Buddha of Suburbia (1993)
- Malgudi Days (1987)
- Lies We Tell (2016)
- Jadoo (2013)
- Keith Lemon: The Film (2012)
- All in Good Time (2012)
- Today's Special (2009)
- Kisse Pyaar Karoon (2009)
- Run Fatboy Run (2007)
- Chicken Tikka Masala (2005)
- Pyaar Mein Twist (2005)
- Thoda Tum Badlo Thoda Hum (2004)
- Calcutta Mail (2003)
- Love at Times Square (2003)
- Ek Hindustani (2003)
- Kuch Tum Kaho Kuch Hum Kahein (2002)
- Pyaar Ishq Aur Mohabbat (2001)
- Zubeidaa (2001)
- Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke (2000)
- Krodh (2000)
- Jab Pyaar Kisise Hota Hai (1998)
- Gunda (1998)
- Gupt: The Hidden Truth(1997)
- Loha (1997)
- My Son the Fanatic (1997)
- Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1996)
- Ghatak: Lethal (1996)
- Andaz Apna Apna (1994)
- Shola Aur Shabnam (1992)
- Police Public (1990)
- Maine Pyaar Kiya (1989)
- Mr India (1987)
- Mandi (1983)
- "Actor Harish Patel on the show". BBC. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "LAURENCE OLIVIER WINNERS’ REMARKS: Best New Play & Best New Comedy". What's On Stage.
- "Rafta Rafta – Royal National Theatre". Japjit Kaur.
- Patel, Chandrika (2015). The Taste of British South Asian Theatres: Aesthetics and Production. Lulu Press. ISBN 9781483433417.
- "Wanted: multicultural audiences for mainstream theatre". The Guardian. The Guardian.
- "‘I couldn’t say no to David’ – Harish Patel". The Asian Today.
- "Harish Patel". Corriepedia.
- "Billionaire Boy". Radio Times. Radio Times.
|This theatrical biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|