Harish Shankar at the success meet of Mahanati in May 2018
|Residence||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Alma mater||Osmania University|
Sanganabhatla Harish Shankar is an Indian film screenwriter, dialogue writer, actor and director known for his works exclusively in Telugu cinema, and Telugu theater. He made his directorial debut with Shock (2006), produced by Ram Gopal Varma.
He has directed successful movies such as Mirapakay (2011), Gabbar Singh (2012); for which he received the SIIMA Award for Best Director, and CineMAA Award for Best Director. Gabbar Singh grossed ₹150 crore (US$22 million) worldwide, becoming one of the highest grossing Telugu films at the time. Ramayya Vasthavayya (2013) grossed a worldwide share of ₹309 million (US$4.5 million) and Duvvada Jagannadham (2017) grossed ₹ 115.10 crore, both of which were directed by him.
Harish Shankar was born in Dharmapuri, a Town in Karimnagar district, Telangana, into a Telugu speaking family. Harish Shankar has a younger brother and a younger sister. Harish Shankar studied at Osmania University.
Harish shankar started his stage acting career under the Drama Companies Seeta Nilayam and Lalitha kala Mandiram based in Telangana. He then ventured into backstage writing, and screenwriting. He is influenced by Yandamuri Veerendranath’s works and holds a keen interest in dialects, regional and linguistic influences. In his pursuit to join the world of cinema, he was associated with Kona Venkat, Puri Jagannadh, Ram Gopal Varma, and has worked as an associate director for films such as Ninne Istapaddanu, and Veede..
|2006||Shock||Ravi Teja, Jyothika|
|2011||Mirapakay||Ravi Teja, Richa Gangopadhyay, Deeksha Seth|
|2012||Gabbar Singh||Pawan Kalyan, Shruti Haasan||Remake of Dabangg|
|2013||Ramayya Vasthavayya||N. T. Rama Rao Jr., Samantha, Shruti Haasan|
|2015||Subramanyam For Sale||Sai Dharam Tej, Regina Cassandra|
|2017||Duvvada Jagannadham||Allu Arjun, Pooja Hegde|
|2019||Gaddalakonda Ganesh||Varun Tej, Atharvaa, Pooja Hegde, Mrinalini Ravi||Remake of Jigarthanda|
|2003||Ninne Istapaddanu||Tarun, Sridevi||Co-writer and actor|
|2004||Naa Autograph||Ravi Teja, Bhoomika||Co-director|
|2005||A Film by Aravind||Rajeev Kanakala, Richard Rishi||Actor|
|2008||Chintakayala Ravi||Venkatesh, Anushka||Co-writer|
|2009||Konchem Ishtam Konchem Kashtam||Siddarth, Tamanna||Co-writer|
|2012||Nippu||Ravi Teja, Deeksha Seth||Cameo appearance|
- "Harish Shankar interview on Gabbar Singh". Eenadu Newspaper.
- "Harish Shankar criticises critics at 'Duvvada Jagannadam' Thank You Meet!". 28 June 2017.
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (20 September 2015). "'Subramanyam for Sale' is for families" – via www.thehindu.com.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (15 October 2013). "Rooted in commerce" – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Gabbar singh highest grosser in south". India Today. Archived from the original on 12 March 2015.
- "Box Office Collection: Jr NTR's 'Ramayya Vastavayya' Business Will be Closed Soon". International Business Times India. 21 October 2013. Archived from the original on 25 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "DJ lifetime box office collection: Duvvada Jagannadham". ibtimes.
- "'Duvvada Jagannadham' quick review". 23 June 2017 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Harish Shankar Interview". idlebrain.com.
- "Interview : Harish Shankar – NTR has a great sense of humour - 123telugu.com". www.123telugu.com.