22 August 1924|
10 August 1995|
Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India
Harishankar Parsai (22 August 1924 – 10 August 1995) was a Hindi writer. He was a noted satirist and humorist of modern Hindi literature and is known for his simple and direct style. He wrote vyangya (hindi satire) articles.
He was born in Jamani village near Itarsi in Hoshangabad district, Madhya Pradesh. He completed his M.A. in Hindi from R.T.M. Nagpur University. After pursuing writing along with his service for some time, he quit his job and took writing as a full-time career. He settled in Jabalpur (M.P) and started a literature magazine called Vasudha. Despite it being highly praised, he had to stop the magazine after the publication suffered economic losses.
- Hari Shankar Parsai used to give answers of readers in a column "POOCHHIYE PARSAI SE" in a Hindi News paper DESHBANDHU published from Raipur and Jabalpur.
- A collection of 21 selected stories translated into English by C. M. Naim was published in 1994: Inspector Matadeen on the Moon (Manas Books, Chennai). It was reprinted in 2003 by Katha Press, New Delhi. One of his story, ‘Baarat kee waapsi’ is part of syllabus in CBSE pattern.
- Premchand Ke Phaté Jootey (प्रेमचंद के फटे जूते)
- Jaisé Unké Din Firé (जैसे उनके दिन फिरे)
- Bus ki Yatra (बस की यात्रा)
- Vaishnav Ki Fislan (वैष्णव की फ़िसलन)
- Tirchchi Rekhayein (तिरछी रेखाएं)
- Nindā Ras (निंदा रस)
- Thithurtā Huā Ganatantra (ठिठुरता हुआ गणतन्त्र)
- Hanste Hai Rote Hai(हँसते हैंं रोते हैंं)
- Tab Ki Bāt(तब की बात)
- Sadāchār Kā Taabij (सदाचार का तावीज़)
- Bholārām kā Jeev (भोलाराम का जीव). *Apni apni Beemaari
- bhere aur bheriye
- Bhoot Ke Paon Peeche (भूत के पाँव पीछे)
- Rani Naagphani Ki Kahani (रानी नागफनी की कहानी)
- Tut Ki Khoj (तट की खोज)
- Jwala Aur Jul (ज्वाला और जल)
- Viklaang Shraddhaa ka daur (विकलांग श्रद्धा का दौर)
- Do naak waale log (दो नाक वाले लोग)