Harlech railway station
Harlech station as seen from Harlech Castle.
|Managed by||Arriva Trains Wales|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Harlech from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Harlech railway station is located at a level crossing on the A496 in the centre of the town of Harlech in Gwynedd, North Wales. The waiting shelters were installed to cater for the high numbers of schoolchildren commuting to and from neighbouring schools. The station is on the Cambrian Coast Railway with passenger services to Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Barmouth, Machynlleth and Shrewsbury. Until the 1960s there was a summer service between London Paddington and Pwllheli, via Birmingham Snow Hill, Shrewsbury and Machynlleth.
From January to April 2014, the line from Machynlleth was out of service for repairs due to storm damage north of Barmouth and a replacement bus service was in operation - this was due to the major repairs required to the formation (which required a complete rebuild of the sea wall as well as the track bed at Llanaber). Services to the north were also suspended until the beginning of September 2014 whilst a replacement for the Grade II-listed 1867 wooden viaduct at Pont Briwet was being constructed.
Trains stop approximately once every 2 hours in each direction Mondays - Saturdays. There are 3 trains each way in the summer season (May to September) on Sundays, but just one in each direction in the winter months. Most southbound trains continue beyond Shrewsbury to Birmingham New Street & Birmingham International.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Arriva Trains Wales|
Line and station open
|Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway
Line and station open
- "The Cambrian Coast Line". penmorfa.com. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Crump, Eryl (20 January 2014). "Cambrian coast railway in Gwynedd will be closed for four months". Daily Post. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Cambrian Coast Railway reopen". Network Rail. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Table 76 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harlech railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Harlech railway station from National Rail
- RAILSCOT on Aberystwith and Welsh Coast Railway
|This Wales railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|