Harlem High School (Illinois)
|Harlem High School|
|1 Huskie Circle
Machesney Park, Illinois 61115
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Harlem School District 122|
|Fight song||Stand Up and Cheer|
|Athletics conference||Northern Illinois Conference (NIC-10)|
|Average ACT scores||20.4|
|Website||Official School Website|
Harlem High School is a public secondary school and part of the Harlem School District 122 in Machesney Park, Illinois, USA. With approximately 2,600 students it is located on two campuses (one main campus and one freshmen campus). Its sport teams are named the Harlem Huskies. The principal is Terrell Yarbrough.
Demographics and Statistics
According to the school's 2012 Illinois school report card, the student population is 82.8% white, 4.1% Black, 8.0% Latino, 1.7% Asian-American, 0.1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, 0.2% American Indian, and 3.0% multiracial. 43.6% of the students are low income. The dropout rate is 2.7%, which is 0.2 points higher than the overall state dropout rate. The average class size is 19.2 The four year graduation rate is 75.2% The school was not deemed to be making Adequate Yearly Progress in 2012.
The school offers several AP courses in such subjects as English Literature and Composition, United States History, and World History. Also offered are CTE (Career and Technical Education) classes through the Career Education Associates of North Central Illinois, a partnership with the Regional Alternative School, and a program in which students can take college level classes through the nearby Rock Valley College.
Sports at Harlem are offered on a seasonal basis. Sports offered include a Historically Football program. Cross country and Track & Field are among the top in the state of Illinois, Tennis, Swimming, Golf, Baseball, Basketball Cheerleadering and Wrestling program that has delivered multiple State Champions .
- "IHSA School Directory". Illinois High School Association. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Harlem High School Administrative Team". Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "Harlem High School Illinois State Report Card 2012" (PDF). harlem122.org. Illinois State Board of Education. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "Special Programs/Resources". harlem122.org. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "Athletics Home Page". harlem122.org. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "Harlem Science Olympiad team wins regional competition". Rockford Register Star. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "Illinois Science Olympiad 2012 State Tournament Results". Illinois Science Olympiad. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "Clubs and Organizations". harlem122.org. Harlem High School. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|