Harley-Davidson engine timeline
This article provides insufficient context for those unfamiliar with the subject.(July 2019)
Harley-Davidson engines are a line of engines manufactured since 1903 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin by the Harley-Davidson company for use in its motorcycles. Now made in various factories in York, Pennsylvania; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Kansas City, Missouri (closing); Manaus, Brazil; and Bawal, India.
The Harley Family started making smaller flathead motorcycle engines individually by hand and fitted to bicycles in the 10ft x 15ft wooden barn in Milwaukee that was the Harley-Davidson workshop of the time, prior to that in 1901.
That first bike was a single cylinder model, based roughly on the recently-developed De Dion-Bouton internal combustion engine.
The company was soon fully committed to producing its own proprietary engine designs, and by 1909 the first Harley-Davidson V-Twin engine had been designed and made, setting a template for engine design that lasts until today.
|Big twin engines|
|Flathead||1930–1948 (until 1973 in the servicar models)|
|W (V twin)||1937–1952|
|G (W engine)||1937–1973|
|Fluid (water)-cooled engines|
Big Twin (Stock) Engine Sizes:
- Flathead 45ci (737cc)
- Knucklehead 60ci (983cc) & 74ci (1212cc)
- Panhead 60ci (983cc) & 74ci (1212cc)
- Shovelhead 74ci (1212cc) & 82ci (1343cc)
- Evolution 82ci (1343cc)
- Twincam 88ci (1442cc) & 95ci (1556cc) (88/96ci bore 3.75in (95.25mm) & 4.00in stroke on 88ci (101.6 mm)
- Twincam 96ci (1573cc) & 103ci (1687cc)(88/96ci bore 3.75in (95.25mm) & 4.38in stroke on 96ci (111.25 mm)
- 2017-Milwaukee-Eight 107ci (1746cc) & 114ci (1868cc) & 117ci (1923cc)
- Hornsby, Andy. "A Potted History of Harley-Davidson: Part 1 1903-1954". Crewe, UK: American-V. Archived from the original on 2011-02-11. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- Mitchell, D., ed. (1997). Harley-Davidson Chronicle - An American Original. Publications International Limited. ISBN 0-7853-2514-X.
- Henshaw, Peter, Kerr, Ian, "The Encyclopedia of the Harley-Davidson", 2001, Chartwell Books, Inc., ISBN 0-7858-1274-1
- Flatheads, Knuckleheads, Panheads, Shovelheads | A Guide to Harley-Davidson Engines, Devitt Insurance, 2021.