||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
August 6, 1974 |
|Alma mater||University of Toronto, University of Western Ontario|
|Occupation||Celebrity personal trainer, co-host of The Revolution|
|Known for||5 Factor Diet|
Harley Samuel Pasternak (born August 6, 1974) is a Canadian-American personal trainer, motivational speaker, author and television host. Pasternak is known for his books The Body Reset Diet and The 5-Factor Diet, along with working with many celebrity clients as a personal trainer. Pasternak is known mainly to most audiences as one of the co-hosts of ABC's 2012 daytime talk show, The Revolution.
Pasternak graduated from York Mills Collegiate Institute, and holds an honors degree in kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario, and a master's degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutritional Sciences from the University of Toronto.
During his time at UofT, Pasternak served as a Nutrition and Exercise Scientist at Department of National Defence's DCIEM (Defence and Civil Institute for Environmental Medicine) from 2005-2007. As a scientist, Harley focused on performance physiology and nutrition, with a specialty in caffeine and ephedrine. His work was published in the scientific journal, Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise in June, 2003, and in The Canadian Journal of Sports Medicine. Harley is also certified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology, and is an IDEA Master Trainer.
As part of his personal training, Pasternak has worked with many celebrity clients, including: Jennifer Hudson, Lady Gaga, Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Megan Fox, Bono, Milla Jovovich and Alicia Keys.
In addition to his hosting on The Revolution, Pasternak has made multiple appearances on American and Canadian morning daytime talk shows and news programs, along with serving as a guest judge on Germany's Next Topmodel and Canada's Next Top Model.
Pasternak appears as himself doing a fitness routine with Megan Fox in the 2014 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film. He also appeared as himself as Jessica Simpson's personal trainer in Private Valentine: Blonde & Dangerous in 2008.
Pasternak has published four books, which have been listed on the New York Times bestselling list and been published in fourteen languages, with sales in 29 countries.
- 5-Factor Fitness (Putnam Penguin)
- 5-Factor Diet (Ballantine Books)
- 5-Factor World Diet (Viking Books Canada)
- The Body Reset Diet (Rodale)
- The Body Reset Diet Cookbook (Viking Books Canada)
- "5 Pounds" (Rodale)
Pasternak has endorsed several products, including the video game Harley Pasternak's Hollywood Workout for Wii and the Xbox 360 with Kinect, along with a food and DVD fitness line based on the "5-Factor" plan and the "997" New Balance exercise shoe, along with Fitbit, Oberto Jerky, and Coca-Cola's fitness waters, including Powerade and Glacéau VitaminWater and SmartWater.
- Jacobs I, Pasternak H, Bell DG (June 2003). "Effects of ephedrine, caffeine, and their combination on muscular endurance.". Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 35 (6): 987–94. doi:10.1249/01.MSS.0000069916.49903.70. PMID 12783047.
- "Harley Pasternak". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Star Clients". Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Hollywood's Hottest Celebrity Trainers". US Weekly. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Harley Pasternak Kicks Off His PEOPLE.com Blog". People.com.
- "ABC Keeps 'General Hospital' On, Cancels 'The Revolution', Adds 'GMA' Afternoon Show For Summer". Deadline Hollywood.
- Harley Pasternak on training celebrity Megan Fox (television). Toronto: BT Toronto. 2014. Retrieved September 7, 2014.