Harlow (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Harlow in Essex.
Location of Essex within England.
|Electorate||67,700 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Robert Halfon (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
1974-1983: The Urban District of Harlow, and in the Rural District of Epping and Ongar the civil parishes of Magdalen Laver, Matching, Nazeing, North Weald Bassett, Roydon, and Sheering.
1983-1997: The District of Harlow, and the District of Epping Forest wards of Nazeing, North Weald Bassett, Roydon, and Sheering.
1997-2010: The District of Harlow, and the District of Epping Forest wards of Nazeing, Roydon, and Sheering.
2010-present: The District of Harlow, and the District of Epping Forest wards of Hastingwood, Matching and Sheering Village, Lower Nazeing, Lower Sheering, and Roydon.
This seat was created in 1974 from the former seat of Epping and until changes introduced in time for the 2010 election included part of the electoral ward of Broadley Common, Epping Upland and Nazeing.
The seat has been a bellwether since the result in 1983. Included are above county-average levels of social housing, underemployment and unemployment as at the 2001 census and the associated 2000 Index of Multiple Deprivation however the new town has brought growth sustained in part by more commuting with an increasingly-used and separate Mill station in the London Commuter Belt and has seen a 9.2% increase in the number of apartments to 2011 which brings the proportion of the housing market made up by flats and apartments to 23.8%.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||Stan Newens||Labour|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Geoffrey Seeff||904||2.0||−11.6|
|English Democrats||Eddy Butler||115||0.3||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||David White||5,990||13.7||+0.7|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+5.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Lorna Spenceley||5,002||12.6||−0.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Lorna Spenceley||5,381||13.4||+4.0|
|Socialist Alliance||John Hobbs||401||1.0||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Lorna Spenceley||4,523||9.5||−1.8|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||Lorna Spenceley||6,375||11.3||−4.9|
Elections in the 1980s
|Social Democratic||Monica Clare Eden-Green||8,915||16.2||−8.0|
|Liberal||John Richard Bastick||12,891||24.2||+8.6|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+4.8|
Elections in the 1970s
|Liberal||Robert Woodthorpe Browne||8,289||15.7||−7.4|
|Conservative||James Emerton Smith||11,510||24.3||−0.7|
|Conservative||James Emerton Smith||13,016||25.0||−14.1|
|Labour win (new seat)|
|UK Parliament constituency
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- pp308-308 Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies
- 2011 census interactive maps 31.2% of property is socially rented, higher than the other districts in Essex
- 2001 Census
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Harlow Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Statement of Persons Nominated Harlow Council
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.