This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Founded in 1990, the 18th state University established in Greece, as the successor of the Harokopios Higher School of Home Economics (Χαροκόπειος Ανωτάτη Σχολή) that was established in 1929. The university has ever since expanded to further scientific areas awarding bachelor's, master's, as well as Ph.D. degrees. Its small size, with about 120 academic and research staff, 80 administration personnel and 1000 undergraduate students, makes it a flexible academic institution.
The University is named after Panagis Harokopos (1835–1911), who took care of the founding and funding of a school oriented towards the production of scientific potential in Home Economics. To achieve his vision he bought a plot of 20,000 m² in the borough of Kallithea, where between 1915 and 1920 the school was built. A new wing was added in 1959.
This complex of buildings housed the "Harokopios Higher School" until 1990, when the Harokopio University was founded. The development of the University was based on international standards and scientific research that was conducted by the Institute of Regional Development of the Panteion University after request of the Ministry of Education.
The infrastructure of the university is of high level, in fact it was fully restored in 1993-1994 while a new building was erected in 1999-2000 to house the newly established Geography Department and the library. In 2011 a new building was completed in the area of Tavros, for the newly established Department of Informatics and Telematics and the University’s Refrectory.
Today Harokopio University comprises three Schools and four Undergraduate Departments.
|School of Environment, Geography and Applied Economics||
|School of Health Science and Education||
|School of Digital Technology||
Harokopio University is active in academic research and teaching in the wider fields of Informatics and Telematics, Geography, Home Economics and Ecology, Nutritional Sciences and Dietetics, all including – to a larger or smaller extent – the study of the different aspects of the environment. Through research programmes, as well as its extensive ERASMUS educational exchange program, the University has built an extensive network of co-operation with other academic and research institutes and the private sector in Greece, Europe and worldwide.
In 2016 the external evaluation committee gave Harokopio University a Positive evaluation.
An external evaluation of all academic departments in Greek universities was conducted by the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA).
- Department of Dietetics and Nutritional Science (2011) 
- Department of Geography (2013) 
- Department of Informatics and Telematics (2014) 
- Department of Home Economics and Ecology (2014) 
- List of universities in Greece
- List of research institutes in Greece
- Education in Greece
- Open access in Greece
- "Harokopio University History". www.hua.gr.
- "Harokopio University Campus". www.hua.gr.
- "Greek Scientific Publications 1996-2010". Ekt.gr.
- "Publications and citations 2006-2010". www.ekt.gr.
- "Harokopio University - External Evaluation Report" (PDF). www.adip.gr. 2016."Consistently with its vision, Harokopio University addresses scientific areas that serve society, health education, technology and the environment. In considering further growth and academic development, the university should engage in more in-depth planning."
- "HQA". Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Dietetics and Nutritional Science, Harokopio University, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Geography, Harokopio University, 2013
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Informatics and Telematics, Harokopio University, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Home Economics and Ecology, Harokopio University, 2014
- Harokopio University - Official website (in Greek) (in English)
- Harokopio University DASTA Office (Career Office & Innovation Unit) (in Greek) (in English)
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) (in Greek) (in English)
- Department of Dietetics and Nutritional Science, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (in English)
- Department of Geography, HQAA Final Report, 2013 (in English)
- Department of Informatics and Telematics, HQAA Final Report, 2014 (in English)
- Department of Home Economics and Ecology, HQAA Final Report, 2014 (in English)
- "ATHENA" Plan for Higher Education (in Greek)
- Hellenic Academic Libraries Link (HEAL-Link)) (in Greek) (in English)
- Kallipos (e-books Greek academic publishing) (in Greek) (in English)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (in Greek) (in English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (in Greek) (in English)
- synnefo - Open Source Cloud Software (GRNET) (in Greek) (in English)