Harold H. Bloomfield
|Occupation||Psychiatrist, writer, politician|
|Education||University of Pittsburgh |
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
|Notable works||How to Survive the Loss of a Love, TM: Discovering Inner Energy and Overcoming Stress|
Early life and education
He received the David Berger Award in 1978 and the Golden Apple Award in 1982. He worked at the Institute of Psychophysiological Medicine in El Cajon, California, from 1970 to 1973 and became its director of psychiatry in 1974. He became a professor of psychiatry at Maharishi International University in 1974. He was adjunct professor of psychiatry at Union Graduate School and director of his own practice called Age of Enlightenment Center for Holistic Health in San Diego, California, from 1972 to 1973.
Bloomfield has authored or co-authored 20 books and was a founder of the American Holistic Medical Association. He is the author of Making Peace with your Parents, Making Peace with Yourself, Making Peace with Your Step-Parents, Making Peace with Your Past, Hypericum (St. John's Wort) & Depression, How to Heal Depression, and the bestsellers How to Survive the Loss of a Love and TM: Discovering Inner Energy and Overcoming Stress. According to his publisher his books have sold more than seven million copies and have been translated into over 30 languages.
According to a 1986 survey published in the American Journal of Psychotherapy Bloomfield's book, How to Survive the Loss of a Love, was one of the top ten self-help books recommended by the 123 American psychologists in the survey. Bloomfield received the Theodor Geisel Book Award in 1999.
Bloomfield practised Transcendental Meditation; he traveled with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in India. He was a candidate for Governor of California in 1998 on the Natural Law Party ticket and received 27,000 votes.
Bloomfield's book Making Peace with God was published in October 2003.
Bloomfield has received the Medical Self-Care Book of the Year Award and the American Holistic Health Association Lifetime Achievement Award.
- How to Survive the Loss of a Love
- Making Peace with your Parents
- Making Peace with Yourself
- Making Peace with Your Step-Parents
- Making Peace with Your Past
- Hypericum (St. John's Wort) & Depression
- How to Heal Depression
- TM: Discovering Inner Energy and Overcoming Stress
- Making Peace with God
- Unknown author Harold H. Bloomfield Archived 2014-02-02 at the Wayback Machine Harper Collins publisher
- Unknown author (December 20, 2001) Self-help guru charged with sexually battering patients, CNN, retrieved October 2, 2012
- Unknown author (January 1, 2004). "Bloomfield, Harold H. 1944-". Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series. Archived from the original on June 11, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2013 – via HighBeam Research.
|last=has generic name (help)
- Edwards, Catherine (August 14, 2000) That Psychiatrist on the Couch Isn't Crazy, Insight on the News
- Goldberg, Philip (2011) Harmony Books, American Veda, p. 167
- Author unknown (July 6, 1989) Feeling Gloomy? A good self-help book may actually help New York Times, retrieved October 4, 2012
- Unknown author (Nov. 5, 1998) New York Times election results for 1998 California Governor New York Times, retrieved October 2, 2012
- Bloomfield, Harold (2003). Making Peace With God: A Practical Guide. Diane Pub Co. ISBN 978-0756784935.