Harold L. Richards High School
|Harold L. Richards High School|
|10601 S. Central Avenue
Oak Lawn, Illinois 60453
|School district||Community H.S. 218|
|NCES District ID||1706540|
|NCES School ID||170654000343|
|Teaching staff||128.89 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.23|
|Athletics conference||South Suburban|
|Newspaper||The Richards Herald|
|Yearbook||The Golden Year|
Harold L. Richards High School is a co-ed public high school located in Oak Lawn, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, and is a member of Illinois school district 218. The current enrollment is over 1,876 students. The school mascot is the bulldog. The school colors are Gold, Black, and White. The yearbook is 'The Golden Year' and the school newspaper is the 'Richards Herald'.
The demographic breakdown of the 1576 students enrolled for the 2012-2013 school year is as follows:
Richards competes in the South Suburban Conference (SSC) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA),.The body which governs most athletics and competitive activities in the state. Teams are stylized as the Bulldogs.
|Cheerleading||Boys' Basketball||Boys' Baseball|
|Girls' Cross Country||Girls' Basketball||Girls' Softball|
|Boys' Cross Country||Bowling||Boys' Tennis|
|Golf||Pom Pons||Boys' Track|
|Girls' Volleyball||Boys' Swimming||Girls' Track|
|Boys' Soccer||Wrestling||Boys' Volleyball|
|Girls' Tennis||Girls' Water Polo|
|Girls' Swimming||Boys' Water Polo|
- Dave Dombrowski, General Manager of the Boston Red Sox
- Dwayne Goodrich, former defensive back of the Dallas Cowboys
- Mike Jones, former offensive lineman of the Chicago Bears
- John Kass - Chicago Tribune columnist
- Joe Montgomery, former NFL football player for the New York Giants
- Dwyane Wade, NBA player for the Chicago Bulls, Olympic gold medalist
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for H L Richards High Sch(campus)". ed.gov. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "CHSD 218 Administrative Team". Directory. Community High School District 218. 2011. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Oak Lawn (Richards)". Directory. Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 18 August 2011. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Literary Magazine". Harold L. Richards High School. 2011. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Newspaper". Harold L. Richards High School. 2011. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- Tribune News Service (19 February 2003), "Shuki Josef of Dallas, injured in a hit-and-run accident...", Chicago Tribune, retrieved 20 August 2011,
Shuki Josef of Dallas, injured in a hit-and-run accident involving Cowboys defensive back Dwayne Goodrich, accused Goodrich in a $38 million lawsuit of failing to control his vehicle. Goodrich, a former Richards High School star, has been charged with two counts of manslaughter
- Whitt, Richie (18 December 2008), "Cornerback Dwayne Goodrich: "The Cowboy Who Killed Those Kids": Former cornerback Dwayne Goodrich comes to grips with his hit-and-run of three Good Samaritans as he plans for life after prison", Dallas Observer, retrieved 20 August 2011,
Goodrich's mother, Pam, is gathering evidence for these proceedings, recruiting acquaintances—like his former Tennessee teammate, kicker Jeff Hall, and his old Richards High School (Oak Lawn, Illinois) football coach, Jim Bolhuis, to write supportive letters to the Board of Pardon and Paroles.
- Kass, John (6 October 2006), "Coach's imprint isn't measured in wins", Chicago Tribune, retrieved 20 August 2011,
Gary Korhonen, the legendary football coach at Richards High School in Oak Lawn, could make history this week ... "Never in my wildest dreams did I think this would happen," Korhonen, 66, my old coach, told me Thursday in an interview at the school. "There's all the pageantry and so on, but the focus is going to stay on the kids and the coaches and the game. We're playing Eisenhower. You played in those games. I don't have to tell you."
- "PLUS: COLLEGE FOOTBALL -- OHIO STATE; Tailback Wants Eligibility Extended", New York Times, 17 December 1998, retrieved 20 August 2011,
Joe Montgomery, the second-leading rusher for third-ranked Ohio State, has petitioned the National Collegiate Athletic Association to return for another season. Montgomery, who has gained 670 yards and scored 6 touchdowns, was declared academically ineligible his freshman season after the N.C.A.A. refused to approve an economics course he took at Oak Lawn Richards High School in Illinois.
- Tribune News Service (20 March 2007), "Wade Aid", Chicago Tribune, retrieved 20 August 2011,
Dwyane Wade's fame and fortune in the NBA, coupled with his association with a major cell phone service provider, paid big dividends for his high school alma mater Monday. Wade, in his fourth season with the reigning NBA champion Miami Heat, joined T-Mobile USA Inc. representatives in announcing plans to remodel the gymnasium at Richards High School in Oak Lawn.
- Albers, Justin (25 May 2011), "Dwyane Wade has come long way", Chicago Sun-Times, retrieved 20 August 2011,
Dwyane Wade wasn’t shooting enough. It was 1999, and the Richards High School basketball team was playing in a Christmas tournament. Then-coach Jack Fitzgerald wasn’t pleased with his senior guard.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|