Long was born in Powell River, the son of George Hibbert Long and Augusta Denise Simard, and from 1958 he worked in the family transportation business (City Transfer) and in 1979 purchased and expanded it. In 1961, he married Beverley Ann Doxsee.
He served as Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Mackenzie from 1986 to 1991 as a Social Credit MLA. He served as Deputy Whip for the Government Caucus and worked as a BC Ferries director until 1991. He was defeated in the 1991 election in the renamed riding of Powell River-Sunshine Coast by Gordon Wilson, then leader of the BC Liberals. Following his defeat, he returned to his family business and was elected in 1992 in a by-election to the Powell River municipal council. He was elected for Powell River-Sunshine Coast in the provincial 2001 election as a BC Liberal candidate. Long did not run for reelection in 2005.
He held positions as Deputy Chair of the Committee of the Whole and was member of the Government Caucus Committee on Natural Resources.
Long, aged 72, was the pilot and sole occupant of a DHC-2 Beaver float plane that was seen overturned in Bute Inlet, near Stuart Island, north of the city of Campbell River, on May 21, 2013. The Canadian Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Mounted Police recovered his body from the scene. 
- Flanagan, Kathryn M; Miller, Katherine J (Spring 1991). Canadian Parliamentary Guide.
- "Harold Long; Members at dissolution of 37th Parliament". Legislative Assembly of British Columbia. Retrieved 19 May 2011.
- McMartin, Will (16 April 2005). "Vancouver Island North-Coast: Leaning Left Again". The Tyee. Retrieved 19 May 2011.
- "Powell River-Sunshine Coast". British Columbia Votes 2005. CBC. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Harold Long". The Governor General of Canada. Retrieved 19 May 2011.[dead link]
- "One dead as floatplane overturns in Bute Inlet". CBC News. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Former B.C. MLA Harold Long killed in plane crash". CBC News. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
|This article about a British Columbian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|