Harold Newcomb Hillebrand
|Harold Newcomb Hillebrand|
|Occupation||Professor of English Literature|
|Known for||Treatise on Edmund Kean|
Harold Newcomb Hillebrand (1887 – 1953) was a professor of English literature.
Harold was the son of William Francis Hillebrand, a chemist with specialization in geochemistry and Martha May Hillebrand, née Westcott. His brother was an electrical engineer at Paolo Alto, California. His grandfather was the botanist William Hillebrand, who went into practise with Wesley Newcomb and married his stepdaughter Anne Post.
After Harold´s studies he became a member of the English Department (1914–1944) at the University of Illinois. He was Head of that Department from 1934-1944. His manuscripts are deposed in the archives of the university of Illinois. His research interest was theatre and play writing. His treatise on the Edmund Kean 1787-1833) counts to the best biography about the actor and provides the first scholarly examination of the evidence on Kean's parentage, birth, and upbringing. He published several articles within The Journal of English and Germanic philology.
- Writing the one-act play; a manual for beginners, by Harold Newcomb Hillebrand. New York, A. A. Knopf, 1925 digitalized in Ditital Library Hathitrust, Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- The child actors; a chapter in Elizabethan stage, 1926
- Edmund Kean, 1933 (reissed: New York: AMS Press, 1966)
- edt. Antony and Cleopatra, by Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616., Boston, D.C. Heath and Co., 1926
- National Academy of Sciences, Biographical memoir of William Francis Hillebrand by Frank W. Clarke, Autumn meeting, 1925, p.50; see also the link to the uploaded original document in his father´s WP-article
- "About the deposit within the University archive". Library.illinois.edu. 1963-11-29. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- about E. Kean within A Biographical Dictionary of Actors, Volume 8, Hough to Keyse: Actresses ... By Philip H. Highfill, Kalman A. Burnim, Edward A. Langhans. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "HathiTrust Digital Library - Writing the one-act play; a manual for beginners, by Harold". Babel.hathitrust.org. Retrieved 2012-02-20.