|Mayor of Cary, North Carolina|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Ernie McAlister|
|Born||June 2, 1956|
|Children||Audrey Weinbrecht |
|Residence||Cary, North Carolina|
|Alma mater||Augusta College, North Carolina State University|
Harold Weinbrecht has been the mayor of Cary, North Carolina since 2007. Weinbrecht is also a full-time programmer at SAS Institute. Weinbrecht defeated Republican Ernie McAlister in the 2007 mayoral election.
In 1997, amid disputes between developers and citizens, Weinbrecht launched the web site "Citizens for Balanced Growth." This and related political involvement led to a 1999 appointment to Cary's Planning and Zoning Board. Cary voters elected Weinbrecht to an at-large town council seat in 1999. Though his opponent spent six times what he did, Weinbrecht was elected mayor in 2007 winning approval on 58% of ballots cast. Weinbrecht was re-elected as mayor in 2011 and again in 2015 and 2019. His current term expires in December 2023.
- "Profile: Cary Mayor Harold Weinbrecht". Cary Citizen. Retrieved 3 May 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Harold Weinbrecht". Town of Cary. Archived from the original on 5 May 2011. Retrieved 3 May 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Weinbrecht's Balanced Growth Approach a Hit with Cary Voters". WRAL. Retrieved 3 May 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Brown, Trent. "Cary mayor re-elected, new council member elected, according to unofficial results", The News & Observer, October 8, 2019. Retrieved January 25, 2020.
- "Harold Weinbrecht", Town of Cary. Retrieved January 25, 2020.
- Official Town of Cary profile page
- Harold Weinbrecht Independent Weekly, September 14, 2011, candidate profile
- Harold Weinbrecht Independent Weekly, September 26, 2007, candidate profile