||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Haroon in 2014
|Birth name||Aaron Haroon Rashid|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Piano|
|Years active||1993 - Present|
|Labels||The Musik Records
|Associated acts||Awaz (1993–1999)|
Aaron Haroon Rashid popularly known as Haroon, is an award winning director, producer, musician, pop singer, composer and social activist. He has sold millions of singles and albums worldwide and has performed at large venues such as the Wembley Arena. Haroon is the creator and director of the hugely successful and internationally acclaimed multi award winning Pakistani 3D animated TV series Burka Avenger.
After graduating in the early 1990s with a degree in Business Administration from George Washington University in the US, he formed the band Awaz with a couple of musician friends, Faakhir and Assad Ahmed.
Haroon and the band made a video of Janeman, a song which Haroon had composed when he was 16. Haroon sent it to MTV Asia, and the song went down in history as the first ever Urdu (Pakistani) song to air on MTV.
Haroon's first solo album, Haroon Ki Awaz, which he produced, engineered and recorded, was successfully released in October 2000.
Throughout his successful music career Haroon has regularly produced songs and videos with socially conscious messages such as the anti-corruption hit Mr. Fraudiay and Ghoom Ghoom which has a message of inter-faith. He has sold over five million albums worldwide and the audience at his shows often number in the tens of thousands.
Haroon has campaigned for peace and tolerance and highlighted corruption through his music. He received the Ambassador for Peace award in Denmark from the Youth for Human Rights Organization in 2007. He is the co-founder of Pakistan’s All Music Performers Pakistan Society (AMPPS) which focuses on rights for musicians. Haroon is also a board member of Pakistan Copyright Board, working closely with IPO (Intellectual Property Organization) of Pakistan and WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) to help set up Pakistan’s first royalty collection organization.
Haroon is the creator and director Burka Avenger, Pakistan’s first ever full length 3D animated TV series and has won several major international awards and accolades for the series including the following:
|S. No.||Awards / Accolades||Category||Result||Year|
|2||International Emmy Awards||Kids: Animation||Nominated||2015|
|3||Prix Jeunesse International||International Gender Equity Prize||Winner||2013|
|4||Asian Media Awards||Best TV Show||Winner||2014|
|5||Canada International Film Festival||Animation||Rising Star Award||2013|
|6||Accolades Global Film Festival||Viewer Impact: Content / Message Delivery||Award of Merit (Special Mention)||2014|
|7||LUMS International Film Festival||Animation||Winner||2014|
Time Magazine named Burka Avenger as one of the most influential characters of 2013.
The show features Jiya, an "inspirational school teacher" whose alter ego is a burka-wearing super-heroine that fights for Justice, Peace and Education for all.
Recently Haroon launched Pakistan’s first of its kind digital content delivery platform called Taazi.com that aims to combat piracy in a country where music and movies have a piracy rate of 100%. Taazi.com (which is also content based social network) has developed a unique mobile telecom integrated billing system, which allows users to pay via their mobile phone balances for online music, TV shows and movies.
- Haroon ki awaz (2001)
- Lagan (2003)
- Haroon Ka Nasha (2007)
Singles and videos
- Janeman - (1992)
- Diya - (1993)
- 'Watan Kahani' (1993)
- Jadoo Ka Chiragh - with Awaz (1995)
- Main Na Manoo Haar - with Awaz (1995)
- Mr. Fraudiay - with Awaz (1996)
- Aye Jawan - with Awaz (1997)
- Tu Hi Jeet - with Awaz (1998)
- Yara - (2001)
- Pyareya - (2001)
- Jeekay Dekha - (2001)
- Tu Hai Kahan - with Junaid Jamshed and Strings (2001)
- Mehndi - (2002)
- Mahbooba - (2002)
- Dil Se - (2003)
- Jao Tum - (2003)
- Goriye - Remix (2004)
- Jiay Jaye (2006)
- Jua Khela (2007)
- Ishq Nasha (2007)
- Nahi Hai Yeh Pyar (2008)
- Big Corporation Man - (2009)
- Ibtada-e-Ishq (2009)
- "Nahin Hai' ft KOSTAL (2010)
- Go Sabjee Go' (2010)
- Ghoom Ghoom (2011)
- Lady in Black with Adil Omar (2013)
- Baba Bandook with Ali Amzat (2013)
- Assad Ahmed
- Burka Avenger, an animated television series conceived by Haroon
- List of Pakistani musicians
- List of Pakistani musical groups
- "Hot Seat: Haroon Interview". Dawn. Archived from the original on 24 January 2009. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Haroon Rashid: Personality Profile". PTV. Retrieved 2 June 2010.[dead link]
- "Haroon: Biography". Haroon.com. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Cricket World Cup Music Video by Haroon". Entertainment, Fashion & Technology Updates. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Haroon Rashid biography, complete biography of Singers Haroon Rashid". www.pak101.com. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "Faakhir Online: official website". Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- Saleem, Taimur. "Face to face with Faakhir". Dawn. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Haroon: Haroon Ki Awaz". Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Spotlight: Interview with Haroon". Mag4you.com. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Musicbox: 'Haroon Ka Nasha'". Dawn. Retrieved 2 June 2010.[dead link]
- "Haroon: Discography". Haroon.com. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Haroon to Launch Go Saabjee Go". Koolmuzone. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Haroon". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Haroon". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Burka Avenger, 2013-07-01, retrieved 2016-04-04
- "Burka Avenger". www.peabodyawards.com. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Awards - Nominees - International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences". www.iemmys.tv. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Burka Avenger bags Gender Equity Prize". e.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Desk, Entertainment (2014-10-29). "Burka Avenger brings home Asian Media Award for 'Best TV Show'". www.dawn.com. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- User, Super. "Canada International Film Festival | Screenplay Contest - 2014". www.canadafilmfestival.com. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Awards of Merit – March 2015 |". accoladecompetition.org. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Multi-award winning TV show Burka Avenger returns with Season 4". arynews.tv. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Alter, Charlotte; Dockterman, Eliana. "The 11 Most Influential Fictional Characters of 2013". Time. ISSN 0040-781X. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- "Taazi.com- Pakistan's First Legal Music Website Launched". Brandsynario. Retrieved 2016-04-04.