Harout Chitilian (TAO: Հարութ Շիթիլեան, RAO: Հարութ Շիթիլյան) (born in 1980) is a city councillor from Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and chairman of the council. Originally elected as a member of Union Montreal, Chitilian sat as an independent councillor from December 2012 to August 2013, when he reaffiliated with the new Équipe Denis Coderre.
Born in Beirut, Lebanon to parents of Lebanese-Armenian origin, he immigrated to Canada when he was nine years old. After studying at AGBU's Ecole Alex-Manoogian in Montreal, he completed his high school studies at a French language school in the west of Montreal while participating in the city of Montreal sports programs in swimming, water polo and basketball. In 2004, he graduated with a degree in engineering, specializing in telecommunication, from the École Polytechnique de Montréal.
After graduation, he worked for four years with the Swedish firm Ericsson, as an international consultant working for various periods in Latin America, Scandinavian countries, Western Europe, United States. From 2007 to 2009, he ran a private consultancy business specializing in the domain of information technology and telecommunication.
In 2009 municipal elections, he was elected municipal councillor in the Montreal borough (arrondissement) of Ahuntsic-Cartierville under the banner of Union Montreal from the electoral district of Bordeaux-Cartierville.
From 2009 until June 2011, he was the president of the municipal council at the City of Montreal, head of the commission of presidency of the city and vice-president of the Consultative Committee of Urbanism in the borough. He was also a member of the executive committee of the Regional Conference of Elected Councilors of Montreal, of the Corporation de Développement économique et communautaire de l’arrondissement Ahuntsic-Cartierville and Administrative Council of the organisation "MR3 Relève".
On June 20, 2011, he was elected chairman of the city council of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, replacing the outgoing chairman Claude Dauphin, and at 30 years was the youngest chairman in the history of the city of Montreal.
Following the resignation of Michael Applebaum in June 2013, Chitilian was a candidate in the council vote to succeed Applebaum as interim Mayor of Montreal, but lost narrowly to Laurent Blanchard.
Harout Chitilian is married.
|2009 Montreal municipal election results: Councillor, Bordeaux-Cartierville
- "City councillor Harout Chitilian joins Denis Coderre". The Gazette, August 2, 2013.
- Azg: Հարութ Շիթիլյան. «Քաղաքականություն եմ մտել պատասխանատվության զգացումով» (in Armenian)
- Nouvelles Saint-Laurent: L’intégration par le sport selon Harout Chitilian (in French)
- Keghart: Chitilian interview
- Ville de Montréal: Biography of Mr. Harout Chitilian (in French)
- Keghart from Courrier Ahuntsic: Harout Chitilian as Councillor
- La Presse Montreal: Présidence du conseil: Harout Chitilian remplacera Claude Dauphin (In French)
- Courrier Ahuntsic: Harout Chitilian, president of the municipal council
- Montréal Metro: Harout Chitilian présidera le conseil municipal (in French)
- La Presse: Les indépendants désormais majoritaires à Montréal (French)
- "Laurent Blanchard new interim mayor of Montreal". The Gazette, June 25, 2013.