|Flower of Harperocallis flava|
Isidrogalvia Ruiz & Pav.
Harperocallis is a genus of flowering plants in the family Tofieldiaceae, native to Florida and northwestern South America. It was originally described as a monotypic genus, based on the Floridian H. flava, in 1968, but was expanded in 2013 to include ten South American species formerly placed in Isidrogalvia.
The genus was originally described in 1968, incorporating only the newly described type species, Harperocallis flava, an endemic of the Florida panhandle. On the basis of molecular and morphological evidence, H. flava was shown to be derived from or sister to Isidrogalvia, then treated as a genus of ten species native to the Guianas and the northern Andes, and was transferred into that genus in 2011. However, the original description of Isidrogalvia proved to include a European species previously used (under a different name) to typify Tofieldia, thus inadvertently rendering Isidrogalvia a later synonym of Tofieldia. After the rejection of a proposal to conserve the eleven species of Isidrogalvia with a new type, Harperocallis was instead revived with a broader circumscription to include the eleven New World species previously treated as Isidrogalvia.
- H. duidae (Steyerm.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - S Venezuela
- H. falcata (Ruiz & Pav.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - Ecuador, Peru
- H. flava McDaniel - Florida Panhandle
- H. longiflora (Rusby) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - Bolivia
- H. neblinae (Steyerm. ex L.M.Campb.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - S Venezuela
- H. paniculata (L.M.Campb.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - N Brazil
- H. penduliflora (L.M.Campb.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - S Venezuela
- H. robustior (Steyerm.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - N Venezuela
- H. schomburgkiana (Oliv.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - S Venezuela, N Brazil, Guyana
- H. sessiliflora (Hook.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - N Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador
- H. sipapoensis (L.M.Campb.) L.M.Campb. & Dorr - S Venezuela
- Campbell, Lisa M.; Dorr, Laurence J. (2013). "A synopsis of Harperocallis (Tofieldiaceae, Alismatales) with ten new combinations". PhytoKeys. 21: 37–52. doi:10.3897/phytokeys.21.4859.
- McDaniel, Sidney T. (1968). "Harperocallis a new genus of the Liliaceae from Florida". Journal of the Arnold Arboretum. 49 (1): 35–40.
- Remizowa, MV; Sokoloff, DD; Campbell, LM; Stevenson, DW; Rudall, PJ (2011). "Harperocallis is congeneric with Isidrogalvia (Tofieldiaceae, Alismatales): Evidence from comparative floral morphology". Taxon. 60 (4): 1076–1094.
- Applequist, Wendy L. (2012). "Report of the Nomenclature Committee for Vascular Plants: 64". Taxon. 61 (5): 1108–1117.
- Biota of North America Program, 2013 county distribution map, Isidrogalvia flava Image