Harrah's Las Vegas

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Harrah's Las Vegas
Harrah's Las Vegas logo.svg
Harrah's Las Vegas in 2006
Location Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.
Address 3475 South Las Vegas Boulevard
Opening date July 2, 1973; 45 years ago (1973-07-02)
Theme Carnival
Mardi Gras
No. of rooms 2,677
Total gaming space 91,833 sq ft (8,531.6 m2)
Permanent shows Menopause The Musical
Mac King
Tenors of Rock
X Country
Signature attractions Carnaval Court
Notable restaurants Ben & Jerry's
Flavors, The Buffet
Fulton Street Food Hall
Oyster Bar
Ruth's Chris Steak House
Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill
Owner Vici Properties
Operating license holder Caesars Entertainment
Previous names Holiday Casino (1973–1992)
Renovated in 1992, 1997, 2016
Coordinates 36°7′10″N 115°10′15″W / 36.11944°N 115.17083°W / 36.11944; -115.17083Coordinates: 36°7′10″N 115°10′15″W / 36.11944°N 115.17083°W / 36.11944; -115.17083
Website caesars.com/harrahs-las-vegas

Harrah's Las Vegas (formerly Holiday Casino) is a hotel and casino located on the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise, Nevada. It is owned by Vici Properties and operated by Caesars Entertainment. It has over 1,200 slot machines.[1]

The hotel offers 2,677 rooms with an attached casino providing 91,833 sq ft (8,531.6 m2) of space. The hotel consists of 2 towers, Mardi Gras and Valley Towers (Formerly named the Carnival Tower), the tallest of which, Valley, has 35 stories.

There is a Las Vegas Monorail stop, the Harrah's & The Linq station, at the rear of the property. A shuttle service to the Rio was discontinued in late 2017.


Holiday Casino (1973–1992)[edit]

On July 2, 1973, Shelby and Claudine Williams, former owners of the Silver Slipper casino, opened the Holiday Casino, a small riverboat themed casino in front of the Holiday Inn Las Vegas Center Strip.[2][3][4]

With riverboat-themed structure

In 1979, Holiday Inn bought a 40% share of the casino's parent company, Riverboat, Inc.[5] By 1982, the hotel had grown to over 1,000 rooms making it the largest in the chain.[6] Holiday Inn bought out the remaining 60% in 1983.[7]

Harrah's Las Vegas (1992–present)[edit]

In April 1992, the property was renamed Harrah's Las Vegas.

In 1997, it completed a renovation intended to make it the company's flagship property, replacing the old riverboat theme with a Mardi Gras and Carnival theme.[8] They extended the 35 story tower by adding 986 rooms. Included in the renovations were six 22,000 lb (10,000 kg) 23-karat gold-leaf sculptures. Built from steel and glass reinforced polyester resin, the sculptures stand 32 ft (9.8 m) high and wear size 43 shoes.

At the grand re-opening Harry Connick, Jr. entertained at the Carnaval Court. Tino Wallenda, son of legendary tight-rope walker Karl Wallenda, walked 139 ft (42 m) across a 1-inch (25 mm) steel cable, 99 ft (30 m) above the ground. Celebrities also appeared included Sidney Poitier, Sandra Bullock, Minnie Driver, Stephen Baldwin, Lea Thompson, Dick Butkus and Steve Wynn.[citation needed]

Harrah's Las Vegas sign in 2010

On November 29, 2017, Caesars announced it is selling the property to Vici Properties while Caesars continues operating it.[9] The sale was completed the following month.[10]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ "Listing of Financial Statements Square Footage". Nevada Gaming Control Board. Retrieved May 4, 2015. 
  2. ^ West, Jinnae (June 13, 2009). "Claudine Williams: 1921-2009: Gaming pioneer remembered for honesty, education work". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved September 12, 2011. 
  3. ^ "Obituaries / Claudine Williams, 1921 - 2009". Los Angeles Times. May 20, 2009. Retrieved September 12, 2011. 
  4. ^ "History of the Harrah's Las Vegas - Las Vegas Strip". www.a2zlasvegas.com. Retrieved 17 April 2018. 
  5. ^ "Holiday Inns buys interest in Vegas site". Spokane Daily Chronicle. April 11, 1979. Retrieved September 12, 2011. 
  6. ^ Moskowitz, Milton (July 20, 1982). "Holiday Inn parlays casinos into cash". Anchorage Daily News. Retrieved September 12, 2011. 
  7. ^ Schwartz, David G. (2007). "7". Roll the Bones: The History of Gambling. Penguin. 
  8. ^ Calkins, Alison (May 17, 1996). "Harrah's joins growth". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved September 12, 2011. 
  9. ^ Editorial, Reuters. "Caesars to sell Harrah's Las Vegas real estate assets for $1.14..." reuters.com. Retrieved 17 April 2018. 
  10. ^ Corporation, Caesars Entertainment. "Caesars Entertainment Announces Completion of Harrah's Las Vegas Sale and Leaseback Transaction and Land Acquisition for New Convention Center in Las Vegas". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 17 April 2018. 

External links[edit]