Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument
|Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
|Location||Dorchester County, Maryland, United States|
|Nearest city||Church Creek, Maryland|
|Area||11,750 acres (4,760 ha)|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
|Website||Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument|
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument is an 11,750-acre (4,760 ha) National Park Service unit in the U.S. state of Maryland. It commemorates the life of former slave Harriet Tubman, who became an activist in the Underground Railroad prior to the American Civil War. The monument was created by President Barack Obama under the Antiquities Act on March 25, 2013.
The national monument includes sites near Cambridge, Maryland, in Dorchester County, that were significant in Tubman's life. A large proportion of the designated area is included within Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge and will be managed cooperatively between the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Park Service. 17 acres (6.9 ha) of this area are presently being developed by the state of Maryland as Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park, with a jointly-operated visitor center shared by the Maryland Park Service and the National Park Service. The Park Service will also manage the Jacob Jackson Home site, a 480-acre (190 ha) farm that acted as a station on the Underground Railroad. The Jackson site was donated to the federal government for incorporation into the monument.
Legislation was passed and signed into law on December 19, 2014, to create the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historical Park, which encompasses the national monument and other properties in Dorchester, Talbot, and Caroline Counties in Maryland, and authorizes creation of the Harriet Tubman National Historical Park at several Tubman-related places in Auburn, New York.
- Harriet Tubman
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Scenic Byway (Maryland)
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway (Delaware)
- Harriet Tubman Home for the Aged
- Harriet Tubman Grave
- "Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway".
- "National Monument". Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park. Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Presidential Proclamation -- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument". The White House. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- Ken Sturtz - "President Obama signs measure creating Harriet Tubman national parks in Central New York, Maryland", syracuse.com/news, December 19, 2014. Accessed 2015-07-30
- Mascaro, Lisa (December 4, 2014) "Federal land deals full of thorny trade-offs" Los Angeles Times
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument.|
- "Harriet Tubman National Historical Park & Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historical Park", NPCA Accessed 2015-07-30
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park
- National Park Service Special Resource Study for the proposed Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historical Park in Maryland and Harriet Tubman National Historical Park in New York
- Official website National Park Service