Harrison Public Schools
|Harrison Public Schools|
|Type and location|
|Address||430 William Street
Harrison, NJ 07029
|Superintendent||Frederick G. Confessore (Acting)|
|Business administrator||Christine Griffin|
|Affiliation(s)||Former Abbott district|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||2,031 (as of 2011-12)|
|District Factor Group||B|
The Harrison Public School District is a comprehensive public school district serving students in Kindergarten through twelfth grade, located in the municipality of Harrison, in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. Harrison is located 12 miles to the west of New York City, and is sandwiched between Newark (the state's largest city) to the west and Jersey City to the east. The district is one of 31 former Abbott districts statewide, which are now referred to as "SDA Districts" based on the requirement for the state to cover all costs for school building and renovation projects in these districts under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Development Authority.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "B", the second lowest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
- Lincoln Elementary School (grades Pre-K to 3; 653 students). The school is located at 221 Cross Street.
- JoAnn Dignazio-Botch, Principal
- Francisco Nascimento, Assistant Principal
- Hamilton Intermediate School (4-5; 295) located on Hamilton Street
- Kevin Stahl, Assistant Principal
- Middle school
- Washington Middle School (6-8; 429). The school is located at 1 North Fifth Street.
- Michael Landy, Administrator in Charge
- Kevin Barber, Assistant Principal
- High school
- Harrison High School (9-12; 654). Harrison High School is located on Hamilton Street and Kingsland Avenue.
- Matthew D. Weber, Principal
- Steve Lipski, Assistant Principal
- Kimberly Huaranga, Assistant Principal of Athletics
The construction of a new structure to house Harrison High School began in January, 2005, and was completed in the summer of 2007 in time for the 2007-2008 school year. The new Harrison High School is located at the intersection of Kingsland Avenue and Hamilton Street in the northeastern corner of the town on the former site of Clayton Container. A new stadium was constructed along with the school building. The campus includes a football/soccer field, baseball diamond, softball diamond, running track around the fields, and 3 tennis courts. The building includes thirty general education classrooms, four special education classrooms, two classrooms for small group instruction, two gymnasiums, a dance/aerobics studio, instrumental/vocal music room, cafeteria, auditorium, media center, science labs, computer room, and faculty spaces.
Although Washington Middle School has been relocated to the former site of the high school, the planned remodeling of the old high school has been put on hold indefinitely due to funding issues involving the New Jersey Schools Construction Corporation and mismanagement of funds.
Core members of the district's administration are:
- Frederick G. Confessore, Acting Superintendent
- Christine Griffin, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Harrison School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Abbott Districts, New Jersey Department of Education, backed up by the Internet Archiveas of May 15, 2009. Accessed August 14, 2012.
- What are SDA Districts?, New Jersey Schools Development Authority. Accessed August 14, 2012. "SDA Districts are 31 special-needs school districts throughout New Jersey. They were formerly known as Abbott Districts, based on the Abbott v. Burke case in which the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled that the State must provide 100 percent funding for all school renovation and construction projects in special-needs school districts.... The districts were renamed after the elimination of the Abbott designation through passage of the state’s new School Funding Formula in January 2008."
- SDA Districts, New Jersey Schools Development Authority. Accessed August 14, 2012.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Duger, Rose. "East Newark Harrison merging dispatch service", The Jersey Journal, December 30, 2010. Accessed March 25, 2011. "Kearny handles all health-related functions through its Board of Health, while East Newark high school children attend Harrison High School and the borough contracts with Harrison to provide street cleaning, snow removal, ambulance and library services."
- School Data for the Harrison Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Schools, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Harrison Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Lincoln Elementary School, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Hamilton Intermediate School, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Washington Middle School, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Harrison High School, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- McDonald, Terrence T. "Harrison names former Jersey City Councilman as assistant principal of high school ", The Jersey Journal, July 12, 2012."Former Jersey City Councilman Steve Lipski is giving up his role as head of the city Economic Development Corporation and accepting an assistant principal position at Harrison High School."
- Harrison District Information, accessed May 7, 2006
- New Jersey School Directory for Hudson County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- Superintendent's Office, Harrison Public Schools. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- The Harrison Public School District's Website
- Harrison Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Harrison Public School District, National Center for Education Statistics