Harrison Township, Muskingum County, Ohio
|Harrison Township, Muskingum County, Ohio|
Fields west of Gaysport
Location of Harrison Township in Muskingum County
|• Total||16.9 sq mi (43.8 km2)|
|• Land||16.5 sq mi (42.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||99.1/sq mi (38.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086719|
Harrison Township is one of the twenty-five townships of Muskingum County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,638 people in the township, 869 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located on the southern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Wayne Township - north
- Blue Rock Township - east
- Bloom Township, Morgan County - southeast
- York Township, Morgan County - southwest
- Brush Creek Township - west
The village of Philo is located in northern Harrison Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Muskingum County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Everhart, J.F. (1882). History of Muskingum County, Ohio, with illustrations and biographical sketches of prominent men and pioneers. J.F. Everhart & Co. p. 350.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.